Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

On my commute/mtn bike I have 26x1.2 version of the Ultra Gator Skin. I think that I've been quite unlucky recently with 3 punctures. I got very few with the Continental SportContact 26x1.3 (though I realise that they are no use to you).

A PDF on Continental web site gives the Ultra Gator Skin top marks for puncture protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I use these ones on my training bike. I've done about 5000 miles on them without a puncture so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I use these ones on my training bike. I've done about 5000 miles on them without a puncture so far.

As above, if you're training or commuting and really want to avoid a puncture, you simply will not get a better tyre than the specialized armidillos. I've been using them about five or six years now and have only ever got one puncture - and that was a large nail. I've tried Conti gator skins, schwalbe's anti puncture tyre's too - and they are nowhere near as puncture resistant.

They aren't particularly heavy either, so won't so you down to much, and you can swap them for race day for something lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

E@gle. wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good set of road tyres that are fairly puncuture resistance and yet give good preformance
    i was looking at a set of these
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=165&idproduct=9162

put open to suggestions.

I use these, so can highly recommend. Only one puncture so far in about a year. Low rolling resistance and reasonable weight so not losing out too much on speed compared to the very light racing tyres. They look quite nice too.

Never tried specialized armadillos but i lifted one up once in a shop to have a look and, sorry Moneyshot, but I think they're seriously heavy. Mind you he's used gatorskins so i suppose its a question of finding what you think is the right balance between weight, rolling resistance and puncture proofness. I just thought the armadillos were too meaty for my liking although they're sure to be among the best for beating punctures.

I also use panracer pasela TGs (puncture proof) on my other road bike becuase they come in the more comfy 32mm or 35mm, wheras ultragator skins only go up to 28, which i have on the other bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Commuter tyres are just heavy, that simple. If you want puncture proofing, you're just going to have to haul them!
    I'm using a marathon on the front, and an armadillo on the back, and find them both very good - over 1000 miles and 2000 miles respectively and 0 punctures.
    Overall, I'd choose the Armadillo, it goes to much higher pressure and its a rock solid back tyre - Marathon's a little softer and suits the front wheel, gives you a bit of bounce on the potholes :)

• Advertisement

Itsfixed wrote:
    Never tried specialized armadillos but i lifted one up once in a shop to have a look and, sorry Moneyshot, but I think they're seriously heavy. Mind you he's used gatorskins so i suppose its a question of finding what you think is the right balance between weight, rolling resistance and puncture proofness. I just thought the armadillos were too meaty for my liking although they're sure to be among the best for beating punctures.

I do agree they are quite heavy, and there are many, many lighter tyres out there. Although unless I'm in a race, the most important thing for me is getting from A to B and to get home without the stopping to fix a puncture. Personally, I'll sacrifice a fair amount of rolling resistance for the piece of mind, but I don't think the penalty from the armadillos is too steep. Besides a bit of tyre weight for training never did anyone any harm.

I used to run Michelon pro races one summer, and loved them, but got fed up getting punctures. I've tried numerous other tyres, and none give me the confidence of the armadillos - I don't even take a puncture kit or spare tube with me anymore. I know lots of people that wouldn't go near the armadillos because of the weight issue. The Opening Poster will need to decide where he fits along the Weight - puncture proof scale.

Money Shot wrote:
    I do agree they are quite heavy, and there are many, many lighter tyres out there. Although unless I'm in a race, the most important thing for me is getting from A to B and to get home without the stopping to fix a puncture. Personally, I'll sacrifice a fair amount of rolling resistance for the piece of mind, but I don't think the penalty from the armadillos is too steep. Besides a bit of tyre weight for training never did anyone any harm.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Money Shot wrote:
    The Opening Poster will need to decide where he fits along the Weight - puncture proof scale.

i dont race (well not yet anyway) im just looking for a tyre that i can cycle 120-180 miles a week without getting a puncture. Not worried about performance yet. so i think i'll go with the specialized armadillos i seen them in my local dealers for €30 a tyre is that a good price for em?

and also how do they handle in the wet??

Thanks for the replies

30 quid is about right.

They're fine in the wet, well as good as anything of that variety. If you're used to a mountain bike it won't be the same.

30 quid is about right.

They're fine in the wet, well as good as anything of that variety. If you're used to a mountain bike it won't be the same.

Yeah ! Since a few years ago, they are called 'All Conditions' armadillo - which was supposed to signify an upgrade in handling in all weather conditions, especailly wet. I find they handle well enough - no issues to report on this anyway.

best of luck with them, and let us know when (if) you get your first puncture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I'd deffo go with Armadillos too - got a pair of 28Cs on my Sirrus Sport. Have had only one puncture in several thousand miles - I'm on my fourth pair.

Re. the weight argument - you have to chose - puncture proof lining adds weight! Though I think this is well offset by the high pressure capability - you really can pump these rock hard... hence lower rolling resistance.

Re. the handling issue - they're an excellent all weather tyre - the centre line is untreaded (the treads are only at the sides). I've hand no problems in the wet with cornering, but in some cases have had wheel-spin in the straight ahead direction when starting off - no doubt due to that untreaded centre line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

milod wrote:
    I've hand no problems in the wet with cornering, but in some cases have had wheel-spin in the straight ahead direction when starting off - no doubt due to that untreaded centre line...

On the issue of tread on bicycle tyres: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html#tread

Advertisement