Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Radio - how much would it add to monthly download?

Options
  • 16-04-2007 5:56pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine has just purchased an internet radio and he was asking me how much of his monthly download allowance it would use up if used regularly?

Anybody any ideas? Say three hours a day most days of the month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Approx (Bitrate * number of seconds active) + file overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I hope it better than the one I had on test.
    Also I'm spoilt. I have Satellite most rooms for TV or Radio. I find Internet audio quality OK for talking, brutal for music.

About 2.6Gbyte a month at 64kbps (savage music quality) Assuming about 3 hrs a day
    Approx 6 Gbyte a month at 150 kbps (mediocre quality, but similar to rip-off iTunes). The lads in the house buy CDs, and make their own 256Kbps "radio station" on my server. Maybe I should charge :)

However I may have made an error in the sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

watty wrote:
    Also I'm spoilt. I have Satellite most rooms for TV or Radio. I find Internet audio quality OK for talking, brutal for music.

About 2.6Gbyte a month at 64kbps (savage music quality) Assuming about 3 hrs a day
    Approx 6 Gbyte a month at 150 kbps (mediocre quality, but similar to rip-off iTunes). The lads in the house buy CDs, and make their own 256Kbps "radio station" on my server. Maybe I should charge :)

You know savage means good to most people? I don't use the word but others do.:p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

watty wrote:

I don't think anyone seriously interested in music is going to be using an internet radio for listening purposes. So far this one seems pretty ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

JPA wrote:
    You know savage means good to most people? I don't use the word but others do.:p
    I realised that after I posted... but I think the context suggests the older meaning. A bright spring morning used to make folk feel gay too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

watty wrote:
    I realised that after I posted... but I think the context suggests the older meaning. A bright spring morning used to make folk feel gay too.
    LOL

Advertisement