Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question smart broadband

Options
  • 16-04-2007 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Is smart broadband still an option for new customers?

I was under the impression that they had folded, but looking at their website it seems they still have a good broadband package.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just signed up with them last week. Waiting now for Eircom to switch the line over. I've heard really good things about them.

They had some difficulties last year afaik but are ok now. There's been some discussion of them re-branding. Everyone I know seems to think they went bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Effectively they did, the main investor refinanced them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They never went out of business - it's a story eircom seem to like spreading, which I suppose is understandable when it means people don't cop that there is a better, faster, more stable and much cheaper service available.

Go for the five euro upgrade option if you can - whizzing along.:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you can get it don't hesitate!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Btw does anyone have any idea how long I might be waiting for Smart to be set up? I rang them and ordered last Wednesday and was told two weeks. But I've also heard stories about Eircom digging their heels in and it taking over a month.

My phoneline was already with Eircom but not for broadband (with ntl at the moment). I don't think the line has ever been used for broadband before. Does this make any difference?

• Advertisement

Btw does anyone have any idea how long I might be waiting for Smart to be set up? I rang them and ordered last Wednesday and was told two weeks. But I've also heard stories about Eircom digging their heels in and it taking over a month.

My phoneline was already with Eircom but not for broadband (with ntl at the moment). I don't think the line has ever been used for broadband before. Does this make any difference?

It should shorten the process considerably - the real delays result from having to transfer your phone account back to Eircom if you have had it with someone else and getting the broadband removed from your line. Your transfer should be relatively simple. (famous last words!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tha slightest sign of any delaying nonsense from eircom, start hassling them with letters (not phone calls or emails) to the CEO, letters to ComReg, letters to anyone you can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Does anyone know if Smart have cut back on the number of exchanges they operate from since the troubles with eircom last year? I just checked my line on the Smart broadband webpage and it says the Dooradoyle exchange in Limerick is not on their build list, even though I know a lot of people who have Smart from that exchange and my line previously did check out OK.

Just curious in case I need to change over, which I was still considering until now.

Thanks, guys, hopefully it won't be much longer :)
    jor el wrote:
    Does anyone know if Smart have cut back on the number of exchanges they operate from since the troubles with eircom last year? I just checked my line on the Smart broadband webpage and it says the Dooradoyle exchange in Limerick is not on their build list, even though I know a lot of people who have Smart from that exchange and my line previously did check out OK.

Just curious in case I need to change over, which I was still considering until now.
    It's probably just an error, jor el. I checked over on the Smart support forum and the Dooradoyle exchange is listed as "live" in the announcements section. You could try doing a search there and see if that pulls up anything. I'm really impressed that Smart respond to technical problems online.

jor el wrote:

why not ring Smart and ask them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement