Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating My First Year?

• 16-04-2007 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I really screwed up this second semester, missed tons of college, failed most of my end of term exams etc. and really am considering repeating all of first year. But is this possible? I mean would I be guaranteed a spot with all the CAO applicants applying for the same course? I really don’t know how to go about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I'm not sure exactly how it works, all I know is that it's a pain in the ass repeating. they give you very little notice of when you need to have certain forms in (eg. you'll recieve a few forms in the mail which need to be in the college by lunchtime the following day).

I know a few people who repeated their first year and had little to no problems getting in, aside from the afformentioned time nusance. what course are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

First time CAO applicants are givin first priority so they are , so if its a popular course you might not get back in to do the full course, you can go back and repeat only certain subjects, if you passed first semester you may only have to repeat the second semester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

Marts wrote:
    I'm not sure exactly how it works, all I know is that it's a pain in the ass repeating. they give you very little notice of when you need to have certain forms in (eg. you'll recieve a few forms in the mail which need to be in the college by lunchtime the following day).

I know a few people who repeated their first year and had little to no problems getting in, aside from the afformentioned time nusance. what course are you doing?

Sure sounds a pain in the ass with the forms, plus I live a good nine miles outside of Dundalk, but getting in really isn't a problem. Doin' Applied Bioscience, great course -- just wish I had to have put in the work when it mattered. Who should I see about repeating?
    draffodx wrote:
    First time CAO applicants are givin first priority so they are , so if its a popular course you might not get back in to do the full course, you can go back and repeat only certain subjects, if you passed first semester you may only have to repeat the second semester

Don't think it really a popular course there's only 20'ish people in my year out of a possible 40 places. I failed one subject in the first semester -- but passed everything else. To be honest if I got the choice I'd repeat all of the first semester again. It's only 3 extra months and I'd be starting afresh just like everyone there, plus I'm sure I could get my CA and Christmas exams up abit... a good bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

R.D wrote:
    Sure sounds a pain in the ass with the forms, plus I live a good nine miles outside of Dundalk, but getting in really isn't a problem. Doin' Applied Bioscience, great course -- just wish I had to have put in the work when it mattered. Who should I see about repeating?

Don't think it really a popular course there's only 20'ish people in my year out of a possible 40 places. I failed one subject in the first semester -- but passed everything else. To be honest if I got the choice I'd repeat all of the first semester again. It's only 3 extra months and I'd be starting afresh just like everyone there, plus I'm sure I could get my CA and Christmas exams up abit... a good bit.

i think you'd have to repeat the whole year again then would you?

have you found out any more? can you repeat your failed 1st semester exam and then repeat your second semester?

Advertisement