Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road markings at Donabate roundabout

• 16-04-2007 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the state of the road markings at the Donabate roundabout (coming off the dual carriage, they're useless, I was in the car with a friend the other day coming from Balbriggan, and he had to stop and on the road to try and figure out what the craic was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

I found this on http://www.brendan-ryan.ie/, he must have had a similiar experience.

April 16, 2007
    RYAN CALLS FOR TRAFFIC MARKINGS ON HEARSE ROAD ROUNDABOUT TO BE REVIEWED BEFORE AN ACCIDENT OR FATALITY OCCURS

Traffic movements on the Hearse Road Roundabout are lethal, and the new road markings, which I believe are not in accordance with the Rules of the Road, have made things infinitely worse and need to be reviewed immediately.

It is vital that Fingal County Council Engineers review the position and rectify the markings before a major accident occurs. For the short period over the weekend that I observed the operation of the roundabout I witnessed numerous beeping of horns, frustrated drivers and “near misses” as a result of the confusing markings and the resulting congestion.

It has also been brought to my attention that a Garda stopped and spoke to a motorist who was endeavouring to adhere to the road marking on the roundabout while travelling to Donabate over the weekend. The Garda was reputed to have said “Gardaí have to enforce the rules of the road, not the road markings”.

The outer lane, has a marking for Donabate/M1. The inner lane has a marking for Swords. Motorists travelling to Donabate who endeavour to get into the marked lane impede motorists crossing for the Lusk, Rush, Skerries direction.

The continuous white line in the centre also prohibits motorists who are on the inner lane, which would be the normal practice in accordance with the Rules of the Road, from crossing over on to the Donabate lane. As a result motorists end up on the lane marked solely “Swords” and thus causing utter confusion for other motorists entering the roundabout from the Belfast and Donabate directions.

Safety must be the main consideration and in this regard it is imperative that the engineers of Fingal County Council investigate this issue as a matter of urgency. This must also be rectified before work on the traffic lights on the roundabout is completed and operational and before a fatality occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

And as for that new roundabout they’ve built towards Rush!? 2 lanes of dual carriageway merge onto a single lane roundabout?!! I saw a load of cars yesterday evening having to drive OVER the edge of the roundabout to avoid a collision! Gotta love Irish civil engineers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,015 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

foxybrowne wrote:
    The outer lane, has a marking for Donabate/M1. The inner lane has a marking for Swords. Motorists travelling to Donabate who endeavour to get into the marked lane impede motorists crossing for the Lusk, Rush, Skerries direction.

The continuous white line in the centre also prohibits motorists who are on the inner lane, which would be the normal practice in accordance with the Rules of the Road,
    What's wrong with 'right' and 'left'? 'Inner' and 'outer' only lead to confusion. On a dual carriageway road, the left lane is oftened referred to as the 'inner' lane but on a roundabout, this would be the 'outer' lane. :confused:
    catch--22 wrote:
    2 lanes of dual carriageway merge onto a single lane roundabout?!!
    I suspect that it's not finished yet but I know what you mean.

What's the problem with many motorists travelling northbound on the R132 into that roundabout? They seem to have forgotten the roundabout rules. I frequently travel southbound and then take the 3rd exit into the Batter lane (beside the Ward family caravans). I have right of way as I'm already on the roundabout, but over the past few days, I've been 'blown out of it' by motorists entering from the south who have realised at the last minute that they have to yield! :rolleyes:

What's the problem with many motorists travelling northbound on the R132 into that roundabout? They seem to have forgotten the roundabout rules. I frequently travel southbound and then take the 3rd exit into the Batter lane (beside the Ward family caravans). I have right of way as I'm already on the roundabout, but over the past few days, I've been 'blown out of it' by motorists entering from the south who have realised at the last minute that they have to yield! :rolleyes:

I suppose a lot of people are forgetting their is a roundabout there now! 'Batter lane'? I never knew the name of that road...thanks, nice bit of random knowledge! :)

catch--22 wrote:
    'Batter lane'? I never knew the name of that road...thanks, nice bit of random knowledge! :)
    That roundabout would be in the townland of Lanistown while the area down the Batter Lane is Bealinstown. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's true. You do learn something new every day. :)

Back on topic, though. I think the planning that's gone into these Roundabouts are fairly poor, to say the least.

The new layout and traffic lights at the Donabate juntion with the M1 will not only provide confusion, but will generously spread the traffic delays to everyone instead of only those who travel the old R132.

The 'Tesco' roundabout looks unfinished, so I'll reserve judgement. However there is an incredibly large kerb at the moment that appears to increase the size of the Roundabout by about a third and reduces it to about 1 1/4 lanes from two lanes in both directions. Guaranteed to be fun at rush hour. :rolleyes:

The 'Tesco' roundabout looks unfinished, so I'll reserve judgement. However there is an incredibly large kerb at the moment that appears to increase the size of the Roundabout by about a third and reduces it to about 1 1/4 lanes from two lanes in both directions.
    I'd imagine there has to be another layer of top tarmac which should probably cover that concrete piece and probably an inclined type kerbing instead of the usual vertical one. The concrete base may be a foundation for the raked kerbing. (This is just speculation - I don't know). A lot of trucks will be using it - those servicing Tesco's RDA and the bulk artic tippers going in and out of Flynn's yard in Bealinstown.

Edit - On mature reflection, perhaps they are making a one lane roundabout and the concrete area will have hatched markings but will allow larger vehicles to encroach if required when turning?

The Ward family mobile homes were removed from the western side of the Tesco roundabout early this morning. Presumably they have been rehoused. I hope it works out well for them. They spent a fair few years in that site.

They have been building just up the road from them...(on the far side of the m1) Maybe it's to there? It will be strange not to see them there! Chuck wagon next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do they mean the signage for the left lane was put on the right lane and vice-versa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Since I don't live in Donabate anymore, I very seldom travel up the R132 / through the Lissenhall roundabout. However, when I occasionally do, I'm still completely amazed by the whole spectacle. I suspect though that most people have prolly grown accustomed to it by now, but the real issue is whether it alleviates traffic congestion during the peaks? Would like to hear.

BTW, the cheapest, easiest and best (in my opinion) solution would have been to simply add dedicated slip lanes (by means of paint roadmarkings) on the M1 S and N off ramps, as well as on the R132 N slip onto the M1 N.

Irish civil engineers indeed...!

Advertisement