Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the new canteen...

Options
  • 16-04-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody been to the new canteen yet? a few classmates have been and said it was over priced, food was cold, didnt get much of it, so stayed away this evening but the old canteen used to be great for food.

so any other opinions on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

No haven't been to it yet -- where aboots is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

draffodx wrote:
    the old canteen used to be great for food
    You are joking, right? The few times I've eaten in there, I was highly disappointed. The food was atrocious, I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I agree. I am in my third year in the college, and I have bought a total of 4 'hot' meals from the canteen. they were all muck, they don't keep the food as hot as it should be. the deli was great though. Also bring back the old sausage rolls, the new ones are shite

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

They have cheap Strawberry Milk there... I like it. :D
    Seriously though, I haven't eaten there yet, but it seems MUCH better than the old canteen, not to mention Gerry's *shudders*.

Around the Leinster area, the best quality food for the least amount of money seems to NUI Maynooth out of all the canteens I've been in. UCD is a bit on the expensive side, but it has a good range of offerings. Ourselves here in Trinity are fairly good when it comes to food, and, of course, there's everything the city centre offers too. St. Pat's in Drumcondra is fairly poor. I haven't tried DCU. Moving further afield, UCC is really, really excellent too.

• Advertisement

well I took the first step today and tried the curry........ it wasn't too bad. It was warmer than the stuff you got from the old canteens, but not exactly hot. The place also looks great, well apart from the nonsence they have over the serving dock, sh*t like "remember every compliment you recieve and forget every insult you recieve". I mean wow, a serious pearl of wisdom there :rolleyes:

I dread next year, as it will be raining all the time and you can't get to the canteen from an indoor route, you need to go outside for it, so the Well and the Coffee Dock will be black at those times

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

europerson wrote:
    You are joking, right? The few times I've eaten in there, I was highly disappointed. The food was atrocious, I thought.

really? we always went to the old canteen for dinner at 5, it wasn't high quality stuff i agree but for a fiver it was grand, was always hot when i got it and usually had some nice stuff, burgers in pepper sauce, black been sauce and meat, and loved the chicken curry, i dunno maybe i'm just not that fussy but i like it :D

whats the prices like in the new one? heard they were a bit more expensive,
    heard it was massive too?

Marts wrote:
    apart from the nonsence they have over the serving dock, sh*t like "remember every compliment you recieve and forget every insult you recieve".
    :D ROFL
    I dread next year, as it will be raining all the time and you can't get to the canteen from an indoor route, you need to go outside for it, so the Well and the Coffee Dock will be black at those times
    Hmmm, that might be the case, all right.
    draffodx wrote:
    really? we always went to the old canteen for dinner at 5, it wasn't high quality stuff i agree but for a fiver it was grand, was always hot when i got it and usually had some nice stuff, burgers in pepper sauce, black been sauce and meat, and loved the chicken curry, i dunno maybe i'm just not that fussy but i like it
    Maybe I'm just fussy. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Oh dear!!

I'm getting old!!!
    When I was there, you had the canteen beside the old entrance (side entrance) of the college.
    It basically served salad, sausages, beans, chips & curry, & sausage rolls. Not a whole pile else.
    If there was spuds, they were full of lumps.
    A few years later, a canteen opened above the gym. It was worse, & selection even poorer.
    Then there was the well & the coffee dock:- both complete dives that I barely stepped foot in.
    Where's the new canteen?
    Is there a brand new building opened on campus up beside PJ Carrolls?
    (Last building I know of is the hospitality building / college bar etc)

BoozyBabe wrote:
    Is there a brand new building opened on campus up beside PJ Carrolls?
    (Last building I know of is the hospitality building / college bar etc)

so you dont know of the new nursing building?

well the new canteen is kind of behind that, if you look out from the balcony in the bar its straight there in front of you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Far better than the old canteen. Much better choice of food. Being a veggie limits my options somewhat too. Went to Jerry's Diner once and was told if I wanted a veggie sandwich that i would have to order it the day before. The salad bar is really good. I'm not a poor peasant student though so the price is reasonable to me.

goin to try it this evening, college life is coming to an end for the summer so can afford a bit more :D

what kind of food do they have there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

All kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think they're secretly trying to teach you all to valuable lesson: learn to make sandwiches ;)

That & campaign for microwaves accessible to students. Leftovers > cheap canteen crap anyday!

(ps: I have not been to the new canteen)
    (pps: I have low expectations of it though)
    (ppps:
    Merrick wrote:
    They have cheap Strawberry Milk there... I like it.:D
    HOW cheap??)

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    (ppps:HOW cheap??)[/i]

Very. Cheaper than Mace, whick is always good K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

My first impression is fairly good.. though I've heard other people complain about the food.

But in fairness, they bought things like burgers and chips, and things like that are always packaged & reheated.. I bought some soup several days ago which was clearly homemade and good, and at a decent price. I also tried their sweet & sour chicken with rice which was good, though I thought rice could have done with an extra few minutes as it was a bit hard.

Price wise, I don't think its any more expensive than the other place - they just don't let you away with the extras like sauces etc that the other ladies did. You do get better service though, in a better environment.. they're definately a lot more friendly. It's got a nice interior though.

Only gripes are the design near the roof; it's an absolute eyesore and looks as if it was designed by a kid who's been trained to type on Paint. It really is just horrible, and the quotes on it make no sense ("remember your parents" "remember sunscreen"). Totally unrelated to students and food.. that was a dissapointment.

The other is that freakin' alarm! It's forever going off..and its got such an obnoxiously loud sound for nothing, with about 10 bells lined up in a row outside. Oh well... I guess it's just teething. But geez, plesae paint over that crap at the top, it's horrible.

Matt

Random information: "remember sunscreen" origins, nyoro~n?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

kiki: that was the lamest advice I've ever seen in my life.

Design-wise, the exterior and interior "play" well together, bar the advice. Deadlines for designers and architects are very tight, so I can't imagine how it could be possible to come up with something better under all that pressure.

Hmm... I reckon the place looks nice enough, though I don't think I will ever understand why they put the sunscreen stuff there. Just for the sake of having encouraging quotes maybe?

Since my last post, I have actually eaten there and found it pretty good, definatly better than the old canteen. The only thing wrong with the whole place is that infernal alarm, if they had only put a proper door at the other end of the building that problem wouldn't exist at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

I do agree that the door situation is out-right bad architectural design. Whoever designed it didn't once stop to think where people are actually coming from. There's not even a proper path for people to take from one of the doors; people have made their own over the grass.

Aside from that, I think some of their food is fine. I have made one observation though; the chips & cardboard, uh, chicken/burger section seems to be the busiest. Now, in fairness, if you buy **** like that, don't expect it to taste good!

Matt

• Advertisement

I could murder for a good batter burger right now.

MDTyKe wrote:
    I have made one observation though; the chips & cardboard, uh, chicken/burger section seems to be the busiest. Now, in fairness, if you buy **** like that, don't expect it to taste good!

Matt

Was just wondering do they have much of a choice aside from the usual chips, burgers etc?

well they had a pie last week; beef and guinness. I am a guy who likes to try everything once, this is one of the things I wish I never tried. it tasted like crap. the guinness taste off it was like they drained some beer from a drip tray, foul

Advertisement