Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgiest street in Dublin City?

Options
  • 16-04-2007 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Ok ,
    so heres an intresting post..

In the city , in your opinion whats the dodgiest street to walk down?
    Is there one that you always fear walking down?

any personal storys would be apreciated..

For me it has to be be either Sheriff st. or Temple st. both nightmares of a place tbh. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I reckon Lambe alley or Meath Street. My GF lived on both of these during her tenure in NCAD and between junkies, dealers and dodgy looking characters selling what appeared to stolen stuff they were both pretty bad

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

neacy69 wrote:
    I reckon Lambe alley or Meath Street. My GF loved on both of these during her tenure in NCAD and between junkies, dealers and dodgy looking characters selling what appeared to stolen stuff they were both pretty bad

what was she working at exactly that involved 'loving' on the streets??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Lived maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Thomas Street has always been pretty dodgy in my experience. And in terms of late night brawls or attacks or blood being spilled, Dame Street can be surprisingly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ballybough Rd. Dodgy residents and even dodgier non-nationals. You spend a lot of time dodging untagged bin bags and I've a host of other complaints.
    I get depressed just walking through it every day. Hate the place. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Temple Bar on a Saturday night when it's crowded with Dublin's finest, tanked up and looking for a row.

I'm always aware all it would take for it all to kick off would be one person stumbling into another. I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

spurious wrote:
    Temple Bar on a Saturday night when it's crowded with Dublin's finest, tanked up and looking for a row.

I'm always aware all it would take for it all to kick off would be one person stumbling into another. I hate it.
    Why do you go there? Wouldn't it be best to avoid a place you hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The main street in Crumlin. I have never witnessed so many emergency vehicles on a daily basis. Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

micmclo wrote:
    Ballybough Rd. Dodgy residents and even dodgier non-nationals. You spend a lot of time dodging untagged bin bags and I've a host of other complaints.
    I get depressed just walking through it every day. Hate the place. :mad:
    Ballybough Rd is fine in my experience, and I'm a soft southsider. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thomas street and the surrounding area scare me at nite

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bluetonic wrote:
    Why do you go there? Wouldn't it be best to avoid a place you hate.

Exactly, I rarely do.
    The OP asked was there a street I would fear walking down and yes there is, Temple Bar, for the reasons I outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

For me it has to be be either Sheriff st. or Temple st. both nightmares of a place tbh. :eek:

Temple Street? Off Dorset Street? I'm surprised to hear that. It's safer since the Temple of Sound closed surely.. I've lived in the area for three years and have yet to see any trouble..

Ballybough road/Summerhill Road is a bit iffy. I used to walk home from the gym through there three times a week. Mostly it was okay, but sometimes you'd get rocks hurled in your direction.. Not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

For me it has to be be either Sheriff st

What part exactly. Lived very close by for years, found it grand.

Temple Bar? Its a popular tourist area, nothing dodgy about it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

eo980 wrote:
    The main street in Crumlin. I have never witnessed so many emergency vehicles on a daily basis. Never!

God dam childrens hospital and gardai station lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭potty pete

Ok ,
    so heres an intresting post..

In the city , in your opinion whats the dodgiest street to walk down?
    Is there one that you always fear walking down?

any personal storys would be apreciated..

It's gotta be Thomas Street for me. Filthy place. Always unmentionables knocking around there. I never feel safe walking down that street.

Only about a month ago I was saying to this girl, who lives near Old Kilmainham, that I'm not gone on the street at all. She rubbished it, saying I was paranoid. So we decided an experiment was needed. We drove down to the off-licence to pick up some booze making observations as we went from her house. The first thing we came across was kids with sticks smashing them off cars and shop windows. I was satisifed upon proving my point to her on seeing this. Wasn't much, but an example nonetheless. Five minutes later we entered a spar. While we queued there was this absolute scumbag in there hassling the folks behind the counter. He eventually got around to me accusing me of skipping the queue, spouting vitriol and whatnot. This was all in the space of 10 minutes.

I don't live near Thomas street at all, so I don't know what it's generally like, but those two incidents gave me a pretty good insight.

A few years ago, my mate was witness to a rather strange incident. He thinks it was involving undercover cops. He was walking up on the opposite side of vicar street when out of the blue some guy was running across the street in his direction with a gun in his hand. My mate nearly soiled himself. The guy with the gun hopped into a car and drove off. He maintains he was an undercover cop, but who knows.

He was also 'held up' with a needle. Just dropped his wallet and legged it, completely shaken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

ballooba wrote:
    Ballybough Rd is fine in my experience, and I'm a soft southsider. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Over the last couple of years on Ballybough Rd/ Parnell Street some major serious headline crime has been committed.A sample,a man killed by a stolen car,Chinese gang fight resulting in the death of one man,crack been sold to a journalist,the seizor sisters incident,two separate body's found in the canal,the love ulster thing.I am sure there is more but thats just of the top of my head.

Yore ma's street

hehehe

butter cup /marigold (i think) in Darndale

Advertisement