Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU to suit

• 16-04-2007 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Heya guys, Im in the middle of choosing new bits and pieces for my new build at the moment the 2 main components I have are
    MB
    CPU

There will be some of my current build used
    Case
    BFG Nvidia 7800 GTX OC
    Wireless Card
    Plextor DVD +/- RW
    2 x 19" Dell Utra Sharps
    4 / 5 USB devices inc the mouse, keyboard, webcam
    Front Panal SD Card Reader

Now all that being said I have left out space for my RAM as Im not to use what Ill go for and a CPU cooler, suggestions for both please.
    What Im looking for is what would you recommend for my PSU needs taking into consideration that the GFX card will be upgraded at another point to a DX 10 card depending on what ATi bring to the playing field and that say my RAM need may to start be 2GB but could go to 4GB.
    I've had some online calculators and Im kinda looking at 1000w PSU, but then I say it to people and there like thats way way way to much, so ppl plz help (a quiet PSU would be pretty cool too :p)

Thanks

PLEASE DELETE AS THIS IS PROB IN WRONG FORUM, I HAVE RE POSTED IN BUILDING AND UPGRADING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This seasonic psu Will probably still be overkill, but its no harm to have mroe then you need. Even though 1000w is way overkill. I chose the seasonic psu for you as it is very quiet, extreemly effieient (85% at 700w) And since its a seasonic you know it will be of a greta build quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I currently have
    Enermax Liberty 620W
    Am I right in saying this should do me? I suppose best bet would be to test it and see from there? Any other suggestions.
    I chose the seasonic psu for you as it is very quiet
    Have you had one of these yourself?How quiet is quiet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have owned one before, they are very quiet. But the 620 you have now should be more then enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Check my PSU thread here:
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/66076/

1000W is WAY WAY WAY overkill for that system.

Sure Seasonic generally make good & reliable PSU's, but what do you need that unit sitting there idle for??

The OCZ GameXtreems can be had for great prices now, are quality units also. the 700W model in particular is a great unit.

Ram = you'll need a good quality kit of ddr2-800.

www.memory-configurator.com are excellent, and based in Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

I agree the 1000W is absolutely total overkill, you could easily get by with 500W of a good PSU make like Seasonic. Enermax is pretty good too from what I've heard so the one you have should be more than adequate.

A question might arise if you wanted to have 2 8800GTXes in SLi, but other than that you will get by perfectly fine with the PSU you have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement