Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 32R72 & NTL

Options
  • 16-04-2007 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Howdy
    I have recently purchased a Samsung 32R72 LCD TV. The TV is excellent but I am having one small problem. When I initially power up the set and the NTL digital box I cannot get the NTL remote to work. The remote unit itself is working as the red LED in the unit flashes when a button is pressed. The digital decoder itself does not respond. It seems that the TV is blocking the signal because as soon as you switch off the telly the NTL digital box then responds to the remote immediately. I have noticed that the small power LED on the bottom right of the television set flashes briefly every now and then when you press amd hold any button on the NTL remote.
    Everything seems to work normally after about ten minutes of playing with the remote but as you can imagine it's annoying as hell until then.
    Has anyone had the same experience or know a way around it? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kco3d

mate of mine had the same problem. He called NTL out. They replaced his ntl box but it turns out his NTL box was too close to his tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

Thanks for that I must give NTL a ring. I can't really move the box much further away it's the furthest bit of kit away from the telly as it is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

If your TV has a function that tracks the lighting conditions in your room,(Samsung call it Brightness Sensor) it changes the contrast on the LCD very slightly to give the best picture for the light conditions. It's this sensor that seems to conflict with the NTL remote signal. Have come across it loads of times and turning this function off on the TV resolves the problem around 95% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

I don't think I've ever thanked the Tax Man for anything but here goes. Thank you.

I had set the "energy saving" to medium. I have reset it to off so will see how it behaves over the next couple of days.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

...and VAT free info too.:D :D

I had a look at the online manual for your set but didn't see the brightness sensor as an option on your set. So it could be called something else or maybe a different function. I've only come across a Beko LCD that gave the STB problems when directly in front/under the screen.
    Waste of your time ringing NTL cause all they can do is move the STB away from the TV by the length of the scart lead. They don't have extra long leads,just the standard length.

Keep us posted on the results.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement