Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good and bad areas in Tallaght

Options
  • 16-04-2007 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi

I am looking to buy a property in Tallaght. Could anyone advise me on the good area's to buy and the areas to avoid. much appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Just bought a house in brookview moving in on friday, its down at city west, seems pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

This will be criticized for being overly general but this was the rule of thumb we were using;
    On the right of the N81: South of the square and only start looking again after Hazlewood, or something like that, Golf course and onwards up towards citywest then
    Left of the N81: Is pretty much all ok, kiltipper is well built up now from there southwards again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Although i kinda agree with the last post it might be a good idea to look at some of the properties along the new spur of the luas line that has just started out as far as citywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Speaking as someone who's lived in Tallaght all my life Belgard, Kilnamanagh, Kingswood, Old Bawn, Firhouse and parts of Springfield are all places where I'd be comfortable buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aising026

thanks for your advice. I was looking at Alderpark Court in Springfield. Do you reckon the area is ok around there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, Alderpark's fine. To be honest, it's only the parts of Springfield that border Fetercairn and Jobstown (around Fortunestown area) that I'd hesitate over. Even then, they're not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Alderpark's a managed estate. I used to live there - had a lot of problems with the management company keeping the place secure and clean. That may be different now, I left five years ago.

thanks Superfurry,your advice is helpful!

nipplenuts wrote:
    Alderpark's a managed estate. I used to live there - had a lot of problems with the management company keeping the place secure and clean. That may be different now, I left five years ago.

Nipplenuts, that's interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind if I go see apartments there, good question to ask the estate agent and perhaps other people living in the complex if the management company are keeping things in good order. Is Alderpark generally a quiet area as I'm looking for a nice quite place, well as quite as you can get nowadays I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I found it quiet enough, mostly. You need to bear in mind that there's a fair amount of rental/rent allowance tennants in it, so there'll be the occasional late night shenanigans. :D

Check the electronic gates are working - that was always a good indicator of whether maintenance was being done properly (or at all). Chained open not a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The further east, generally the more settled the area.

What about the sundale/suncroft areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Speaking as someone who's lived in Tallaght all my life Belgard, Kilnamanagh, Kingswood, Old Bawn, Firhouse and parts of Springfield are all places where I'd be comfortable buying.

Thats exactly what I'd recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Personally, I'd avoid

Jobstown/Fettercairn and the surrounding areas - Fortunestown, Kiltalown, Sundale, Brookview
    Tymon North - The area between the old Tallaght road and the Ballymount Road (Though it's generally OK the closer you get to either of these two roads)
    Kiltipper - The houses are all new, but that doesn't mean it's a nice place. It would be fine if you're a young person or a young couple buying a first place, but not as a home to raise your kids.

Better areas would be

Kingswood/Ballymount
    Old Bawn (more-or-less)
    The northern part of Kilnamanagh

seamus wrote:
    Personally, I'd avoid

Brookview

Pants... i move into brookview on friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I should say that I just pulled some of those street names (such as Brookview) from Google Maps. I know the areas aren't the Mae West, but like anywhere else, there are no doubt good streets and bad streets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

What about Gleann na hEorna in Springfield?

And sorry for restarting an old thread, but I can't find anything more recent on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cordless

I'm looking for apartment in Tallagh these days.. I'll be moving with my wife and 6 month old daughter.. Does anyone know if Newbancroft hall, Grenhills road extension is a safe building? Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Please do not resurrect years old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement