Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance

Options
  • 16-04-2007 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Ive had a car insured since november but have moved to england now and am getting a car insured over here. Do i loose my no claims (I know its only a few months) and does anyone know if quinn ireland can transfer a policy to quinn UK?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Depends on how long you are staying over there, You are covered automatically for a few months in the UK with an Irish policy if you have a full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Depend on staying here a year or so and have a full licence.

can i change my irish Full licence for a Uk one or do I just have to keep my Irish licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Your irish insurer can issue a letter with details of your NCB that uk insurers would accept. Your irish policy should cover you 3rd party for several month, but it may be substantialy cheaper to take out a uk policy if you can get a refund on your irish premium (bear in mind you might need to shift to uk plates and get uk road tax).

You can change your licence to a uk one but you are not obliged to (and would avoid uk penalty points). You could change to a uk one before coming home and then avoid irish penalty points.

Cheers thanks for that gahain7. Ive actually found from looking at confused.com that insurance is actually more expensive for me here than back home! And that a lot of companies wont quote unless you have a UK licence

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gabhain7 wrote:
    You could change to a uk one before coming home and then avoid irish penalty points.

drdre a friend of yours? ;)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how long you are actually covered in the UK? Ive tried to ring quinn numerous times but end up waiting so long I just have to hang up!

How could they actually prove when you came over? would they ask for a ferry ticket or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

It's 90 days.

Thanks Fanboy.
    You don't know how they actually prove when you came over do you ie when your 90 days start and finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks Fanboy.
    You don't know how they actually prove when you came over do you ie when your 90 days start and finish?
    In a claim scenario I'd think they would check the ferry records - anything to get out of paying. Or at least they would want to see your ferry ticket.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement