Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK operator

• 16-04-2007 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Anyone know which is the cheapest option for ringing and texting Ireland from the UK? Im living over here now and Meteor (Tmobile) is costing me a fortune!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

carephone wharehouse international mobile world is cheapest for calls
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?ARTICLE=MAIN.UK.INTERNET.STATIC.MOBILEWORLD.HOME

5p a minute to landlines in ireland, 20p to mobiles.

It's a virtual operator that uses the T-mobile network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

He means Craphone Whorehouse of course.

If you're living there, do you have a landline? You could sign up for Talk Talk and get calls to 28 countries for free.

Secondly, why use Meteor? You'd be better off with Voodoo passport and receive calls for free and make calls at irish rates -that would at least be something.

3rdly, why not get a 3IRL or 3UK SIM? Then you would enjoy the benefits of '3 like Home' -see either 3ireland.ie or three.co.uk.

4thly and as well, why not buy a speakeasy SIM and enjoy 250 international SMS online (not to mention the 300 national SMS you already enjoy from Meteor).

Finally, Gabhain7 is quite right -that SIM available in the CPW is an elegant solution: I believe international SMS are 7p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Excellent lads will pop down to carphone warehouse and buy one of them sims - 10quid for the sim and 10quid credit seems decent to me!

5p a min to landlines is excellent

As far as I know, it is actually NO quid in the shops if you buy 10 quid airtime.

Ye thats what i ment! A lad told me that you can get same rate on O2 but its only 5p to call irish mobiles? Is this a load of crap cant see anything on the website!

• Advertisement

I have an O2 UK International SIM and no way is it 5p to phone Irish mobiles -or I would have given up my multi-SIM eccentricities ages ago. It's at least twenty British pee, if not more.The only thing that was good is that it was 10 of those very same pee to send international SMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

culabula wrote:
    Secondly, why use Meteor? You'd be better off with Voodoo passport and receive calls for free and make calls at irish rates -that would at least be something.

Because Meteor are cheaper than Voda in the UK. They are 49c for the first minute, and 20c a minute after that to all Irish mobile and landlines. All texts are 20c. Just sign up by texting Travel to 50104 and choosing the T-Mobile network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

How much does Vodafone Passport cost in the UK? I know in most countries it is the same as you would pay in Ireland, plus a 79 cent connection charge. So for example if you're with Vodafone roaming in Spain and make a 10-minute call back home that would usually cost 19 cents a minute, you'd pay 79 cents + 19 cents times 10. Total cost for the 10 minute call back home: €2.69.

For receiving a call, again it would be the same as in Ireland plus a 79 cent connection charge. So receiving that 10-minute call would cost you 79 cents. Doesn't matter how long the call is. It could be a minute long, or an hour long.

Does it also cost 79 cents in the UK, or do Voda have a special rate, I thought they were going to abolish roaming charges in the UK?

How much does Vodafone Passport cost in the UK? I know in most countries it is the same as you would pay in Ireland, plus a 79 cent connection charge. So for example if you're with Vodafone roaming in Spain and make a 10-minute call back home that would usually cost 19 cents a minute, you'd pay 79 cents + 19 cents times 10. Total cost for the 10 minute call back home: €2.69.

For receiving a call, again it would be the same as in Ireland plus a 79 cent connection charge. So receiving that 10-minute call would cost you 79 cents. Doesn't matter how long the call is. It could be a minute long, or an hour long.

Does it also cost 79 cents in the UK, or do Voda have a special rate, I thought they were going to abolish roaming charges in the UK?

vodafone Passport is the same in every country where it exists with the exception of the UK where it costs nothing for MT calls and the same cost-per-minute price as though you were in in Ireland to make MO calls -that is minus the 79c charge and NOT out of any minutes you may have.

Plus calls received in other countries should be terminated at the 59th minute -otherwise you get fleeced. You need to ask your caller to ring back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

culabula wrote:
    I have an O2 UK International SIM and no way is it 5p to phone Irish mobiles -or I would have given up my multi-SIM eccentricities ages ago. It's at least twenty British pee, if not more.The only thing that was good is that it was 10 of those very same pee to send international SMS.

Its 35p to Irish mobiles and its 5p to Irish landlines and 10p per text msg with international bolt on - (£4.99 one off charge). I get 1000 free UK msgs per month once I top-up £10 monthly

• Advertisement

So the carephone wareouse international mobile thing is by far the best option here, so il get one at the weekend, then as soon as i can setup AFT on my meteor sim and have the international mobile thing it will be real cheap to call and text home. Excellent.

Also invested in one of them dual sims so should be cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Note that no CPW SIMs - Fresh or Mobile World - have roaming, so you won't use it to receive messages when in Ireland

Actually O2 is 25p not 35p to Irish mobiles with the Int'l bolt-on

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paygo/paygoboltons0153/internationalcallerbolton

It probably depends how many calls to UK. MW is flat rate 15p, while O2's variety of bolt-ons with free calls or texts takes a bit more study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I post up a few free Vodafone, O2 and T-Mobile sims in Bargain Alerts freebie list every once in a while, so keep a watch out for it if they are any use to you.

Advertisement