Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP OEM question...

• 16-04-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I have a sealed/unused OEM copy of XP Pro, which came with my Dell desktop. A product key is printed on the wrapping.

It was never used or activated, since my desktop was reformatted with a corporate image and site installation of XP.

Question is: can I now use this leftover OEM XP on a new laptop which I bought OS-free? Or is this OEM copy tied to its original PC?
    The new lappie is not a Dell.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It would be tied to the other machine I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

The Win XP was probably pre-activated at the factory. So I think the license is lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's tied to the original PC. You can use that licence to reinstall XP on the desktop machine, but nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Let me preface by saying that the Dell oem version of XP might have a more restrictive version of the eula than regular XP, I don't know. However the general xp pro eula does allow you to move the os to another machine. See here http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows%20XP_Professional_English_9e8a2f82-c320-4301-869f-839a853868a1.pdf. Look for bullet point number 4.

If you own the workstation personally then it looks like you should be able to transfer it to another machine that you also own. If your employer owns the workstation I don't think you can legally use the license on a personal machine of yours.

If your eula allows the transfer then the activation process may or may not work automatically for you when you install. If you are legally entitled to install the software and the automatica activation process isn't working for you then call microsoft and they should be able to activate it for you over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

Can I use the COA (Cert of Auth) stuck to the PC to activate XP Pro on the laptop? Doesn't that demonstrate that I have both the PC and the OEM cd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

I don't see any harm in giving it a try...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Generally the Dell machines are Pre Activated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Generally the Dell machines are Pre Activated

They are activated to some property in the Dell bios. Not sure what, but any Dell CD will work in any Dell computer of the era without activation.

Advertisement