Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half-Time 2005 Champions League Final - Liverpool V AC Milan

• 16-04-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Can anyone remember or have on youtube etc what exactly Dunphy and or Giles and whoever else was in the studio that night was saying at half-time as Liverpool were 3-0 down and looked dead and buried ?

I was watching the match in the pub so cant remember,but i always remember a couple of people saying that the pundits were going on about how Liverpool are a disgrace and shouldnt be in this final and are an embarrassment and are being taught a lesson - the usual OTT stuff they come out with.

Does anybody have any vids etc or remember what the RTE pundits said ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats proberly about it! :p

1000/1 for Pool to beat Milan by penos this year btw.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's 1000-1, for a 3-3 score and then Milan to win on penos. Otherwise the entire world would take that bet :)

Italians to win on penos? Thats mad! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:
    It's 1000-1, for a 3-3 score and then Milan to win on penos. Otherwise the entire world would take that bet :)

William Hill are offering the 1000 to 1 for the 3-3 but Liverpool to win on peno's. worth throwin 2 euro on anyway alright!

http://www.squarefootball.net/article/betting.asp?bid=1926

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

LFC5Times wrote:
    Can anyone remember or have on youtube etc what exactly Dunphy and or Giles and whoever else was in the studio that night was saying at half-time as Liverpool were 3-0 down and looked dead and buried ?

Did you have a look for the 2005 Final thread, if its still around?
    Someone may have posted the jist of what they said. I think I may have even paraphrased it at the time.

Words like 'Dead and Buried', 'Its all over', even the VTR editor used the text on the replay of the third goal as 'The Clincher'.

I think I may have saved some of my postings about that match in a file so I'll have a look for them tomorrow, if I remember. I have the match recorded as well so may re-watch it, IF Liverpool reach this years final. They have a good chance of doing so.

Current betting odds of getting to the final on PaddyPower:
    Man Utd 4 - 7
    AC Milan 5 - 4
    Chelsea 8 - 13
    Liverpool 6 - 5

all very close really ...

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

redspider wrote:
    I think I may have saved some of my postings about that match in a file
    Please tell me you're joking!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

redspider wrote:
    I think I may have saved some of my postings about that match in a file so I'll have a look for them tomorrow, if I remember.
    redspider, that's mad, you are a boards legend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think the clincher was when they cut to studio when the full 90 minutes was over and extra time was forced, I think there was total silence for a couple of seconds, I was out at the pub myself.. One night i'll never forget. RTE should release it, would be a best seller. You can purchase archives from RTE I think, might look into it.

Please post if theres a you-tube.

> Please tell me you're joking!!
    > redspider, that's mad, you are a boards legend

well, call me mad, but sometimes back-ups are useful, and besides, if I didnt keep it how the hell would I remember it so lucidy in years to come ......

Here's some snippets:

3-0
    Liverpool ‘s heads were down. They moved the ball around, Milan leaving Traore open and him with little attacking ability. But there was a lot of lethargy/lead in the Liverpool legs. This was going through the motions. Gerrard started walking around on the pitch. This was bad body language. He tried to thread a ball through to Baros, it was cut out, it came back to Kaka, who turned Gerrard easily, he looked up and threaded through an exquisite pass, around the stretching leg of Carragher into the path of Crespo (leaving Finnan in his wake), beautifully met, Dudek didn’t come and a superb outside foot finish by Crespo. It was a very good goal. And in a flash it was half-time. Liverpool looked completely down and out.

Brady: “When I saw Liverpool’s set-up, I feared the worst”. “It could be humiliation now”. “Liverpool have looked dreadful at set pieces”. “Let Kaka run at you, and there is going to be problems”.

Giles: “Reality has come in Bill. Liverpool, dreadful stuff”. “Gerrard usually disappears in the big matches Bill. He’s nowhere, nowhere Bill”. “Anything can happen in this game, Milan have to keep it up, although I wouldn’t fancy Liverpool.”

Dunphy (on the 2nd goal): “Look at Traore there”. “The writing was on the wall when they didn’t have Hamman”. “They should have crowded midfield”.

Bill: “Lets hope its not a humiliation”. “Had they ever a chance?”

---

FULL-TIME 3-3 (AET)

Beglin: “An amazing show”.

Bill: “that must be the greatest miss of all time, musn’t it Liam?”

Brady: “I don’t believe in destiny in football, but I do after tonight”. “I think Liverpool will win it, its gonna happen.”

Bill: “Do you think they will win it Eamon?”

Dunphy: “Well, erm, yeah … I think there is a problem with Milan’s resolve and fortitude.” “Liverpool have more heart, very ordinary players, Traore, Kewell”. “Italians have a history in penalty shootouts”. Liverpool can be very proud.

Bill: “It was the most extraordinary come-back, from what we were talking about at half-time, wasn’t it John?”

Giles: “Well, I think Benitez told them to go out and have a go. Hamann came on, which released Gerrard. Once you get a goal, it puts some confidence in the team, it puts the other team under a little bit of pressure, and once you get a 2nd one, they were all over the place. Liverpool showed courage and skill to do it. Plenty of resilience, and Dudeks save sums it up – a good break at the right time.”

---

Liverpool win 3-2 on penalties, with a penalty taker to spare !

Beglin: “I’m speechless. Its extra-ordinary”.

Hamilton: “There has never been a footballing story as dramatic as this”.

Beglin: “When Shevchenko missed that sitter, you knew it was going to Liverpool”.

Brady: “The most dramatic final of them all? Its up there. To be 3-0 at half time, to be totally outplayed and come back. Its got to be one of the greatest finals of all time”

Dunphy: “The quality of their team doesn’t match previous teams. But their endeavour and resolve is hugely admirable. Football is about a lot of things, concentration, never giving up. At half-time, we all thought it might be 4, 5 or even 6. I admire the spirit they had and the belief that they had. I never thought in my wildest dreams they would come back.”

Giles: “It was an extraordinary win Bill. Its good for the game in many ways.A lot of finals have been dull occasions. You know, 3-0 down, you wouldn’t believe it. Dramatic, its remarkable, I’m delighted for Liverpool.”

But later in the studio, Dunphy reverts to type on reviewing the 2nd half goals.

Dunphy: “the big story of the match is the collapse of Milan. Milan collapsed”.

Brady: “No they didn’t Eamon!”

Brady: “the key moment for me was when Dudek made his double save. He was having a nightmare but when he did that I thought it was Liverpool’s night”.

Dunphy: “Carragher was outstanding, all through this championship. He’s a wonderful professional. He really is someone to admire. He did it against Chelsea and Juventus. I’ve a lot more time for him than Gerrard”.

I can put up my whole post again, if ye's want ..... madness, eh?

Redspider

That’s beautiful.

• Advertisement

redspider wrote:
    well, call me mad
    You're mad!!! No seriously, you are.
    Can you do really big maths problems in your head?
    What's 437504846765 x 30935735095? No using a calculator now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

reading redspiders post there, they didnt actually say anything wrong though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

lol you liverpool fans are hilarious. Thanks for the laughs. This and the great weather we're having, I'm in fine form for the day!

P.S. Wouldn't it be so much better to be still in with a shout for 3 trophies this year? What's that? 5 Champions League titles? Cool. I once had a beautiful ham and cheese sandwich back in 1989..doesn't really matter a fuck now though...

I thought they were prawn sandwichs you lot ate. I like twiglets.

BaZmO* wrote:
    You're mad!!! No seriously, you are.
    Can you do really big maths problems in your head?
    What's 437504846765 x 30935735095? No using a calculator now!

437,504,846,765 x 30,935,735,095 = 1.3534534 × 10^22, of course!

But I dont think that's a big mathematical problem.

;-)

event wrote:
    reading redspiders post there, they didnt actually say anything wrong though?
    They actually said what everybody else was thinking at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I was watching the match in the pub so cant remember,but i always remember a couple of people saying that the pundits were going on about how Liverpool are a disgrace and shouldnt be in this final and are an embarrassment and are being taught a lesson

Thats a pretty accurate desprection of the first half it should have been 4-0 shevchenko got a prefectly good goal disaloed and milan should have been at least 6 up if they had taken their chances.
    What did you expect the pundits to say?
    if liverpool work hard and dig in they can turn this around
    The fact liverpool managed to turn the game around in the second half due to a combination of hard work,milans over confidence,poor refering decisions and a lof of luck could not have been predicted by any objective pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

fade2black wrote:
    lol you liverpool fans are hilarious. Thanks for the laughs. This and the great weather we're having, I'm in fine form for the day!

P.S. Wouldn't it be so much better to be still in with a shout for 3 trophies this year? What's that? 5 Champions League titles? Cool. I once had a beautiful ham and cheese sandwich back in 1989..doesn't really matter a fuck now though...

6 sounds better than 5 sounds better than 2

18 sounds better than 16 or 15...

Big Mac in 89 sounds better than a ham and cheese....

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Its kinda strange the way manure are harking on about '99 all of a sudden.

Cheese anyone.

lol you're all brilliant. God Bless you all.

• Advertisement

Thats a pretty accurate desprection of the first half it should have been 4-0 shevchenko got a prefectly good goal disaloed and milan should have been at least 6 up if they had taken their chances.
    What did you expect the pundits to say?
    if liverpool work hard and dig in they can turn this around
    The fact liverpool managed to turn the game around in the second half due to a combination of hard work,milans over confidence,poor refering decisions and a lof of luck could not have been predicted by any objective pundit.

6 up? and some people claim I'm mad!

Here's something to jog your memory:

Liverpool are giving the ball away at times. Milan look menacing, threatening but yet not creating loads and loads of clear-cut chances. Liverpool’s chances are half chances at best. Finnan makes a gallop forward. Gerrard crosses deep, Riise knocks the ball back across the box, Baros spots Garcia and knocks it into his path but his shot skews off his foot. Liverpool’s best move of the match so far. Milan stroke the ball around, non-chalantly. Kaka gets the ball in the hole again, threads a ball through to Crespo but he is a yard offside and the linesman calls it. Then what happens next is what I call a “double event”. A long Dudek kick-out, the ball pings around in the Milan half, it falls to Smicer who threads a nice pass into Garcia’s path running into the box, he feints a kick and draws the sliding tackle from Nesta, Nesta is about to be beaten but very coyly and professionally sticks his elbow back up over his head and blocks the ball. He handled the ball intentionally, Garcia thinks so too, Nesta knows so, but the Ref waves play on. Milan break, Kaka gets in the hole again, and it’s a 3 on 3 situation, with the Liverpool backs flat and static and with Milan running. Kaka plays it to Shev on the right, not sure if he meant a cross, it finds Crespo at the back post area, Carra wrong footed, Crespo scores. 2-0.

Here is an interesting point though. Liverpool backs were playing for an offside, and on watching it again in slow-mo, Crespo WAS OFFSIDE when Kaka passed it to Shev. He was clearly interfering with play. But the Liverpool backs didn’t claim it as they were looking at Shev and as Shev was not offside, neither they nor the linesman seemingly spotted it. It’s a small point perhaps in the scheme of things, but Crespo was offside and that goal should not have been allowed. Not only that, but the Garcia incident was also a penalty. At the time I felt that there was no way back for Liverpool at 2-0 down and the way they were playing. Milan were enjoying themselves.

Had that penalty been given it could have been 1-1. Their 2nd goal was offside.

The fact of the matter is that no-one expected Liverpool to come back from 3-0 down. Besides, all of this has been debated before. People who watch games tend to have a view of it which may be incorrect, in fact the vast majority of people probably do. Why is this the case? Its because they just watch it once and usually partly blinkered with one bias or another and over time some aspects of the match become the sole dominating factor in the match. eg: People think that Liverpool were lucky etc yet there was plenty of aspects of that game where Milan had luck too and indeed debates were held on here on what exactly is luck etc.

Overall, I dont blame the pundits for saying what they did at half-time. My best hopes at half-time was to make the scoreline respectable, such as 3-2. Benitez's do-or-die change in tactics, playing 3-2-3-2 formation was a huge risk and could have back-fired. Indeed, it could have ended up 4-0 down as much as 3-1, as Liverpool were playing only 3 in the back with Hyppia, a slow player, in the centre.

As for fade2black, should we consign 1999 and 1968 to the bin with your 1989 sandwich? 2005 is not that long ago.

The OP asked a question. Lets give him some answers .....

Redspider

Novel Boy, I haven't mentioned 99 and 68...they're in the past. It's all about the present baby.

fade2black get over yourself.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

fade2black wrote:

Oh...the bitterness...let's see who has the last laugh. I actually love it when somebody puts themselves up for a fall.

haha...hash slinging you really can't take any kind of slagging at all can ye?

And Hobart...it's still nice to be able to set myself up for a fall from three lovely cliff tops...

sing me a happy song.

fade2black wrote:
    haha...hash slinging you really can't take any kind of slagging at all can ye?

And Hobart...it's still nice to be able to set myself up for a fall from three lovely cliff tops...
    I just find it amazing that despite all that has happened in the past with Manu, all the nearly there's etc..., that some fans are silly enough to count their chickens.

Anyhow, I thought this thread was about reminiscing about the greatest champions league come-back of all time, and not another Manu V Liverpool type contest.

For my money, Liverpool will win it this season. United will not get past Milan. Chelsea will, unfortunately, win the League and cup double.

I'll confirm at the end of May ;) .

The only person who's counting chickens here seems to be yourself Hobart. I've only said that we're still in with a chance to win 3 trophies. Which is nice.

> Novel Boy

??

Isn't name-calling a break of the charter ?

tch tch for a moderator.

> I haven't mentioned 99 and 68...they're in the past.

Okay, we'll forget about them so, you're choice. The football universe obviously began on Jan 1 2007, the new epoch, according to Fade2black's universe, or did it begin for him after Man Utd beat Roma.

I wonder will fade2black ever complete his fading ...... hmmmm.

Redspider

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:

whats the point? honestly? do you just keep a big spoon next to your computer for just such occasions?

It was an incredible night, worth reminiscing once in a while. United have the treble in 99 as something to look back on and be extremely proud of, as happened recently in a "where were you for the 99champs league final" thread

why get so bitter about it? not like anyone insulted, or even mentioned United.

pfft i dont get it...

fade2black wrote:
    The only person who's counting chickens here seems to be yourself Hobart. I've only said that we're still in with a chance to win 3 trophies. Which is nice.
    I specifically said "Manu" and "fans" in relation to counting chickens. I don't think I fall into that category.

Anyhow, opinions, predictions etc..are all a bit pointless, unless you have money on them.

Best of luck to Manu in their chase for glory this season and here's hoping for another treble!!!

I think Novel Boy is quite a nice name, I wouldn't be insulted if someone called me that...but hey.

I have to give credit where it's due though, I would never have thought that Liverpool would get this far in the CL this year. I wouldn't begrudge them another one. My point though is that you don't need to keep harping back to previous glories when this year's one is just a sniff away....

thats probably why it came up really, being back in that frame of mind of being really excited about the champions league (lets face it, last year there wasnt too much to be excited about). Probably the same as why United fans posted up the "where were you for the 99final" thread not long ago. Its only natural.

In a pub with a bit of banter going on for a champions league semi final against Chelsea, id be very surprised if the previous champions league semi final against chelsea didnt come up for discussion, and the subsequent final against Milan, who we could meet again this year. We're right back where we were so its hard not to be reminded of it, just like the potential of the treble is being mentioned a lot for United.

Sure why not, like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I thought RTÉ gave an accurate review at half time. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

RTE pundits were very unfair to Liverpool that season I felt. They didnt do liverpool much justice in the final, or in any of the previous rounds. Every team livepool played against from the QF onwards the pundits gave them no chance, and rubbished them at every opportunity. Was surprised, and delighted to see them beat Juve, Chelsea, and then Milan and lift the cup. It wasn't until they lifted the Champions League trophy that Dunphy, Giles and co. decided to give them a bit of begrudging credit. There was a lot of egg, on a lot of faces in that RTE studio that May evening. :p

• Advertisement

RTE pundits were very unfair to Liverpool that season I felt. They didnt do liverpool much justice in the final, or in any of the previous rounds. Every team livepool played against from the QF onwards the pundits gave them no chance, and rubbished them at every opportunity. Was surprised, and delighted to see them beat Juve, Chelsea, and then Milan and lift the cup. It wasn't until they lifted the Champions League trophy that Dunphy, Giles and co. decided to give them a bit of begrudging credit. There was a lot of egg, on a lot of faces in that RTE studio that May evening. :p
    In fairness though, I don't think anybody really believed that Liverpool were gonna win it that year. And when they went down to 3-0 in the final it really did look they had been found out. But fairplay to them it was a fantastic comeback and in the end they deserved it as much as Milan did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LFC5Times wrote:

I was watching the match in the pub so cant remember,but i always remember a couple of people saying that the pundits were going on about how Liverpool are a disgrace and shouldnt be in this final and are an embarrassment and are being taught a lesson - the usual OTT stuff they come out with.

Cheers

I can't recall what they said, but I'm sure they were thinking what the rest of the world was thinking.

They were a disgrace in the first half, it was pretty embarrassing, and they were thought a lesson.

They learned from it very quickly, and did the impossible, and they even had me as UTD fan cheering them on :o

I wish people would stop trying to pick holes in the lads, they gave their honest opinion as they usually do and no pundit alive could of predicted the result.

or the utd v roma result.

I check the usual sources but can't find any video. Ah well we'll uplaod this years half-time chat. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cant belive no one recorded it on RTE. Boo Urns.

I have all the sky coverage,if anyone does manage to dig out a recording I'll swap a copy for a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

fade2black wrote:

chasing 3 trophies yet your still jealous of the most successful club in england.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Don't feed the troll.

but it does indeed smack of jealousy. Only one fan mind you so lets not tar them all with the one brush.

..he says as he feeds the troll....

You liverpool fans really can't take a slaggin can ya...I can almost hear Kaimera's bllod bubbling.

For your information though guys, I was born in 1980, starting really getting into football in the mid to late 80s but I can really only remember from the 1990 season. Anyway, my point is...what exactly do I have to be jealous about?

Well as you can only remember football life since 1990 it means you did'nt have to sit out the whole of 1967-1993!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

fade, quit your trolling. Man united and the number of trophies they might win has nothing to do with this thread so I don't want to see any more input from you that isn't related to the game in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A clubs history is always important, it's what shapes the future :)

Liverpools comeback in 05, Utd winning their first league title in '93 after 25 or so years, Ireland getting to the 1/4 final of the WC in '90. All those things are important, and have shaped the future of each team, to imply that they are unimportant is hugely disrespectful to those clubs.

The level of onemanupship is absolutely pathetic here.

Yeah it was a great comeback etc etc.

If you were to go back to the thread in question you'll see that I was actually cheering on Liverpool near the end - In honour of the decent Liverpool fans that are out there, the ones who watch football objectively [edit] This is your last warning. STFU about MU in threads about other clubs unless it is directly related -Psi

And Zabbo, I agree that a club's history is important, but surely it's the present and the future that really counts. Anyway, I'll leave it at that before some poor pool fan cries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Next off topic post gets a 1 week ban. Next troll, no matter how mild, gets a 1 month ban.

[Edit] Fade - having reviewed this thread, if I see you jump in and thread spoil again - or even attempt it, you'll get a 1 month ban, no questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If my memory serves me right the panel slated liverpool during the break, mind you they were not alone as was usual at the time there was a type of commentary thread during the matche here and the Liverpool fans themselves were pretty scathing of their teams first half performance.

I'm sure it could be found if anyone were bothered enought to look.

I'm could probably dig it up if i were to look in my file of my postings here,

If I had one. ;)

Here are some excerpts:

Before Kick-Off

Giles: I would love Liverpool to win it, but my head is with AC Milan

Brady: Same here, AC Milan. For me, Kaka will be the difference

Dunphy: Milan have to prove mental resolve, but Liverpool are dangerous underdogs. I think it will be an extra time game, I think it could be a draw.

Half-Time (45 mins)

Brady: Its been incredible. Kaka is like gold dust. He's in the hole and is running at the defence.

Giles: Reality has come in Bill. Dreadful stuff (by Liverpool).

Dunphy: Its Shevcenko to Crespo (2-0), End of Game.

Giles: Its enjoyable from AC KMilan's point of view (laughs with Dunphy).

Brady: At 2-0, Liverpool were still within a wee bit of a shout, but it could be humiliation now.

Giles: Gerrard has dissappeared, he's noweher in the game. Liverpool have come up against a real team on the night. This is real football, they are totally outclassed.

Dunphy: The writing was on the wall when they didnt have Hamann there.

Bill: Lets hope its not a humiliation.

ad-break

Bill: Had they ever a chance?

Giles: They went in on a wing and a prayer. All Milan have to do is keep playing. Anything can happen as you know Bill.

Full-Time (90 mins)

Giles: Unbelievable recovery, AC Milan could still beat Liverpool.

Brady: I think it will be penalties most likely.

Dunphy: I agree with Liam. Liverpool have nothing left in the tank but they have done a hell of a lot to get here.

AET (120 mins)

Brady: Its almost as if its destiny and fate. I think they'll (Liverpool) wll win it.

Dunphy: Liverpool have more heart and fortitude. Liverpool fans should be proud of their team.

Giles: Once they (Liverpool) got the 2nd goal back, Milan were all over the place. Liverpool showed plenty of courage, plenty of resilience.

So, at half-time, most of the time was spent in praise of Kaka who Liam had identified pre-kick-off as a likely danger source, and they waxed lyrically about him and showed the replays of the goals, etc.

Enjoy .....

Redspider

ps: trolls and muppets, do they ever learn?

Where are you LFC5Times ?

I'm just wondering, will you be prepared to change your handle to LFC6Times if the 'unthinkable' should happen ..... ???

redspider

• Advertisement
Advertisement