Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 206 1.1 LX - advice needed about to buy

Options
  • 16-04-2007 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I put a small deposit down on a 2001 model and i need some advice:

1. my mate test drove it (i cant drive - yet) and he wasnt sure about the power steering but the guy in the garage insisted it did have power steering but one of the tyres was soft and he would "fix all that up before he valeted the car to me". do all the 2001 peugeots have power steering or should i get someone to check it - any way of telling if it has it for sure?

2. i didnt notice a spare tyre in the boot, should i insist on one?
    3. the warranty states that "the timing belt is covered for mechanical breakdown if it has been changed in accordance with the time/mileage requirements specified with the manufacturer " - should i insist on him changing it or specifying when it was changed

any other tips before i hand over the sizeable balance - thanks :eek: :o :rolleyes: :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

okcomputer wrote:
    I put a small deposit down on a 2001 model and i need some advice:

1. my mate test drove it (i cant drive - yet) and he wasnt sure about the power steering but the guy in the garage insisted it did have power steering but one of the tyres was soft and he would "fix all that up before he valeted the car to me". do all the 2001 peugeots have power steering or should i get someone to check it - any way of telling if it has it for sure?

2. i didnt notice a spare tyre in the boot, should i insist on one?
    3. the warranty states that "the timing belt is covered for mechanical breakdown if it has been changed in accordance with the time/mileage requirements specified with the manufacturer " - should i insist on him changing it or specifying when it was changed

any other tips before i hand over the sizeable balance - thanks :eek: :o :rolleyes: :cool:

I think by 2001 most cars of this size had power steering as standard. Get someone else to drive the car when the tyre has been sorted. Or else test drive another 206 to compare.

Regarding the spare wheel, I think Peugeot like most French car makers fit the spare wheel underneath the car rather than in the boot. Check that it is there as these are very prone to being stolen. Again compare another 206 to verify this.

Regarding the timing belt, what mileage is on the car? The timing belt should be changed every 50k miles. Have a mechanic check the car over before buying, usually if the timing belt has been changed the mechanic who did it writes it down in marker or tip-ex somewhere around the engine bay (eg. "TB - 50K). The service history should verify this too. If it hasn't been changed yet and is due I would insist on them changing it or reduce the price to allow for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The 1.4 is by far a nicer drive...test drove one of these under the impression it was a 1.1 and it went like a go-kart. If you can afford the insurance (which was my stumbling block) go for the 1.4. Same engine as the Citroen Xsara.

Should have p/s as standard...the one I drove was 99 and had it

Advertisement