Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitisbushi Galant

Options
  • 17-04-2007 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey lookin at 99 Galant 2.0Litre petrol with 109,000 miles and an NCT till Oct 07 there has been only one owner the guy is lookin for €3500 but over the phone the lowest he said he would take was €3200.

So a few Qs:

Are these a good car etc. i've checked honestjohns and parkers.co.uk but anyone else wanna throw anything else into the mix for example economy, parts prices etc.

Secondly is that a good price for a car of this age i've seen others of this age for more however they had been pimped out in boyracer gear which i'm not interested in at all. This one seems a well looked after one that hasn't been used as pimp mobile.

So any ideas out there????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

IT's no sweet deal, but it's no rip off either. Know a guy who's an EMT so does a lot of hard defensive driving and his dad used to have a Galant. Said it was the best thing he'd ever driven and he's gone through quite a few cars in the last few years....he's the motor industry's dream....he has an ADD for cars...easily bored.

He said his dad's one was solid and as dependable as sand in the desert

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mitsubishi Galants are pretty much bomb proof when it comes to reliability. 100k is nothing on them once the car has been looked after. The 2.0 litre will not set the world on fire but is more than enough for Irish roads.

The price sounds pretty decent but I would still aim to try and get it for €3k. If the car is good as you say then it sounds like a good deal. Make sure a mechanic gives it the thumbs up before handing over the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Soft gearbox an engine, had a few issues with them as company cars where I work.

Best bet, check out carsurvey.org, written by people that actually own them. Look for UK/Ireland reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Duplicate posts merged...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Thanks, wondered what happened there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Have Galant for last few years and would vote it best car I have had.
    Comparing it to Mazda 626, Honda Accord, Audi 80 in the past.
    Pleasure to drive so far, touch wood. Yes the 2.0 is not EVO but what do you want. They are reaonably powerful with nice comfort and lots of room.
    Not sure what would correct price be now? As always though cehck the car out, you could be inheriting crash victim or car that has had cr** driven out of it e.g company car.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I had two of them 2.0L autos - sold them though at the 70,000 miles mark or thereabouts but neither of them gave an once of trouble. Routine servicing and nothing else. The 2.0 engine is handy enough. If you do a lot of motorway miles, I can recommend same - rides well, smooth, very civilised. On the twisty bits though not so sure-footed. Nothing major just built/set up more for cruising.

Of course with high mileage it would be reasonable to expect a few bills, with wear and tear.

These cars were very popular with Hertz and other car hire firms, especially the autos. Most wear "W" Waterford plates. Car hire firms choose their cars very carefully and know what offers the bulletproof reliability and the best overall value for money. The Honda Accord has kind of taken over from the Galant, in this segment of the market, since it ceased production. The late '00onwards ones though (Galant) with the avance bodyki look better - I loved the coke-bottle type styling. The new Lancer will see it return soon.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

Thanks lads one more Q. How are these on petrol how many miles per gallon or in simpler terms at the moment I put about €30 into my 1.3L Ford Fiesta to get me around how much more to do you think i'd have to stick into a Galant. Also what kind of tax would you pay for these. By the way i've stuck my Ford Fiesta up in adverts in anticipation of getting this if anyone wants a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/motortax_rates_2004_en.pdf

539 per year

roughly 35mpg as an average - good bit more though on long runs.

Where you spend 30 on fuel for a 1.3 Fiesta, reckon on closer to 50 with the Galant. All depends really whether we are talking city driving or on motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

thanks great info lads. I'm going to look at one tomorrow checked the insurance would you believe there going to gibe me €63 if i get the car not too sure how that works going from a 1.3 to 2.0 anyway.

Anybody have anything else that I should be aware off??????
    More comments would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

thanks great info lads. I'm going to look at one tomorrow checked the insurance would you believe there going to gibe me €63 if i get the car not too sure how that works going from a 1.3 to 2.0 anyway.

Anybody have anything else that I should be aware off??????
    More comments would be appreciated
    3 Galants in a row - best car ever - until I found a Subaru Legacy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maoleary wrote:
    Soft gearbox

Which is why a mechanic I know describes them as "not suitable for women" :D

Advertisement