Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking guide links..

• 17-04-2007 8:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Im looking for basic guides on overclocking :) I was hoping a few of the lads on here could post some for me as im a complete n00b at this!

I have read a few things but most are all annoying to read big throngs of stuff!

So hopefully when I wake up at about 5 - 6 tonight(I just came home from a 12hour shift :D) there might be some links here for me to read for the night!

Thanks to anyone who gives me a link ;)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sicne i have no idea if you plan on overclocking a intel or a amd i shall post guides for both for you.

Amd Overclocking Guide

C2d Overclocking Guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

intel c2d 6600 with a zalman 9500... I wana get it to 3Ghz :rolleyes:

Its possible to just overclock the cpu and nothing else with the EVGA 680i board?

Would I need to adjust the memory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i could put a good bet on it that toy could put a divider on ur memory but that means ur memory will run slower so thats not good

what ram you got ??

if its 6400 stuf it should go upto 1000.

Its the Nvidia ram 1066 Mhz

Reason I bought it was it was only 242 and it was 370 on komplett.. :D

Im reading this article and its telling 5-5-5-15 are good enough timings to overclock a good bit without a problem!

The ram I have its timings are the 5-5-5-15!

• Advertisement

he means that if ur overlocking with slower ram you may have to put up the timings abit o get more mhz and he says 5-5-5-15 is allright timings.

you will probly not need to overclock ur ram as it runns so fast.
    you aming for 3000 so 380x8 or sumthing around that.

Is this right?

2.40 Ghz is equal to 2400 Mhz

The cpu multiplier on E6600 is 9

Divide 2400 into 9 and I get 266.66666..

Is that the speed(fsb) my cpu is running at on stock?

If I increase the fsb it increases the cpu clock?

If I increase the fsb to 335Mhz and the multiplier is at x9 it will give me:

3015Mhz = 3.15Ghz?

Or is there more to it with the voltages?

EDIT:

This has kinda explained alot to me... http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000697.html

Still unsure about voltages tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I have mine at 3.4Ghz (E6400) with a Zalman 9500 on an Abit Quad GT with 2Gb Team Xtreem DDR2-800 D9-GMH

My settings in BIOS:

fsb = 425
    vcore = 1.4
    vmem = 2.1
    ram:fsb = 1:1
    vmch=1.5

everything else at default (I think).

Ram timings = 4 4 4 12, 2T

Oh, and remember to set PCI-E frequency at 100Mhz to lock it from being overclocked, and set anything that says 'spread spectrum' to disabled.

Also, turn off all of the power saving / cooling features like C1e, EIST, Thermal Monitor etc.

Solid as a rock. These C2D's are lethal clockers m8.

awhir wrote:
    i could put a good bet on it that toy could put a divider on ur memory but that means ur memory will run slower so thats not good

what ram you got ??

if its 6400 stuf it should go upto 1000.

Only if its D9 bnased usually will it OC that far.

Ensure your ram is on the 1:1 divider if you're going to FSB speeds of 400 & up.

I would recommend, for an E660, you drop the CPU multi to 8, vcore to 1.4, ram:fsb to 1:1 and set the fsb to 400Mhz, with a vmch upped a little.

That will give you a 3.2Ghz CPU, and your ram at its default ddr800

BTW, there is no lower divider on Intel based chipsets that support Core 2's(not on any that I've seen anyway).

How do I update the bios of the motherboard?

• Advertisement

You will either have to create a bootable floppy disk with your mobo manufacturers flash utility on it, or there may be an option to update it via the BIOS itself.

GO to your mobo manufacturers website and go to the support section for your board, there should be a link for new BIOS in there

ya im just buying a c2d system now so im just new it overclocking them.

oh and im getting d9 stuf the crucail balltix 6400 :D

Only if its D9 bnased usually will it OC that far.

Ensure your ram is on the 1:1 divider if you're going to FSB speeds of 400 & up.

I would recommend, for an E660, you drop the CPU multi to 8, vcore to 1.4, ram:fsb to 1:1 and set the fsb to 400Mhz, with a vmch upped a little.

That will give you a 3.2Ghz CPU, and your ram at its default ddr800

BTW, there is no lower divider on Intel based chipsets that support Core 2's(not on any that I've seen anyway).

I use the exact same, but the multi at 9 and the fsb at 400mhz, And its 100% stable.

Anti wrote:
    I use the exact same, but the multi at 9 and the fsb at 400mhz, And its 100% stable.

Well if the CPU will do 3.6 (most E6600's can) then fair enough.

I was under the impression he was looking for around 3ghz.

Wanna make sure he's got decent enough cooling though.

ah yeah. He will need good cooling for anything over 3.2ghz, I was just stating what i managed to get so far. When i move to watercooling in a few weeks time i hope to go abit higher, as i have found a waterchiller for pretty cheap ;P

Anti wrote:
    ah yeah. He will need good cooling for anything over 3.2ghz, I was just stating what i managed to get so far. When i move to watercooling in a few weeks time i hope to go abit higher, as i have found a waterchiller for pretty cheap ;P

Where you ordering your WC gear from?

I seriously need a new cooler. I'm using a Zalman 9500 at the mo, so probably will get a Tuniq tower 120. Couldnt be bothered with WC as I'm always changing and upgrading.

Well if the CPU will do 3.6 (most E6600's can) then fair enough.

I was under the impression he was looking for around 3ghz.

Wanna make sure he's got decent enough cooling though.

Ive got the Zalman 9500 also.

Where you ordering your WC gear from?

I seriously need a new cooler. I'm using a Zalman 9500 at the mo, so probably will get a Tuniq tower 120. Couldnt be bothered with WC as I'm always changing and upgrading.

Everything im ordering is comming from www.watercooling.ie and www.overclockers.co.uk and www.hitide.ie

Cheers for that, I never heard of hitide before, they have some good gear

Yeah, and the best thing is low delivery prices, as its not going very far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

DeafVision, it sounds like you still have a lot of learning to do. Steer clear of wild voltage adjustments for now.

The first thing you have to do is overclock each component to see how far it can go.

First find your max FSB.

Yes, the defualt FSB on a core2duo is 266 MHz. You should be able to start at 300 MHz and go in 10 MHz increments from there. Drop your cpu multiplier to keep your cpu frequency at stock (so 300X8) and keep your memory underclocked to remove it from the equation.

Once you hit a wall, up the voltage a small bit and then try increasing your FSB again. Sooner or later you will hit a wall. Make sure you have adequate cooling first and that you are familiar with your boards BIOS. No offence, but if you are unsure about 2400MHz being 2.4GHz, i wouldnt take too many chances.

I had similar questions a while ago, someone posted a link to a great guide. Albeit it was AMD, but the theory was sound.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    DeafVision, it sounds like you still have a lot of learning to do. Steer clear of wild voltage adjustments for now.

The first thing you have to do is overclock each component to see how far it can go.

First find your max FSB.

Yes, the defualt FSB on a core2duo is 266 MHz. You should be able to start at 300 MHz and go in 10 MHz increments from there. Drop your cpu multiplier to keep your cpu frequency at stock (so 300X8) and keep your memory underclocked to remove it from the equation.

Once you hit a wall, up the voltage a small bit and then try increasing your FSB again. Sooner or later you will hit a wall. Make sure you have adequate cooling first and that you are familiar with your boards BIOS. No offence, but if you are unsure about 2400MHz being 2.4GHz, i wouldnt take too many chances.

I had similar questions a while ago, someone posted a link to a great guide. Albeit it was AMD, but the theory was sound.

lol I wasn't sure if 1Ghz was 1024Mhz like in in the same with hard drives :rolleyes:

but google told me otherwise!

Im not a total n00b at computers in general.. just overclocking is new to me.. Im pretty ok with BIOS I know my way around like in my old pentium 4 HT I read a guide turning of HT improved games and I went in and turned it off real easy...

I know thats not hard at all probably but it was my 1st time in BIOS!

Ive been reading loads and loads since like last week! Learning all the terms and what not!

You can overclock the cpu and not the memory right on the EVGA 680i board?

I dont think ill need to overclock the ram ill have which will be running at 1066Mhz anyways!

not shure about that mobo but you can overclock ram.

but the ram is fine there is no way ur gona go over 500fsb on ur chip.

Memory & FSB speeds can be unlinked on the 680i, so yes, you can OC the CPU & FSB without the ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Good Stuff, keep reading.

That board has a deserved reputation for being uber-tweakable!

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Good Stuff, keep reading.

That board has a deserved reputation for being uber-tweakable!

ya there mena be nice boards but very glitchy

omg i cant wait for my dfi dark on the 1st of may :D

Would it be good if I achieved at 3 Ghz overclock without upping the voltage?

Thats what were aiming for? Highest clock without upping the voltage!? Cause upping the voltage makes it hotter!

Whats the standard lifespan of an overclocked cpu and a non overclocked one?

in years? depends on the chip?

• Advertisement

20 year i think for non oc

and 15 for oc i think.

Advertisement