Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Updates

• 17-04-2007 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭

I see that updates to version 6.75 are now available re Central & Western Europe as well as individual maps i.e. UK & Ireland etc etc. Navteq or Teleatlas or both??? Can't see any mention.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Where I am, there are a couple of minor roads, one going off down to an old castle, and another which gives some bungalows access to the main R road. Both appear on the Navteq map reporter and neither are visible on Teleatlas Map Insight. the only Navteq error that I can see is that they got the wrong name for the river - "Cashel" instead of "Feale". As I try not to drive down the river, if at all possible, that mistake doesn't bother me too much.

Despite what Teleatlas/TomTom say, Navteq still has the upper hand, here anyway.
    It would be interesting for others to check their location using both online maps.

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do

http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/cfl?Language=EN&ClientId=MapInsight&PlaceFindCountry=IRL&PlaceFindAdministrativeArea=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I bought a tomtom europe v2 last week. Do i need to pay to update the map to 6.75 or is it a free update?

From my research into this, it seems that the only way to get the updates FOC is to persuade the seller to do a swap for one with the new maps.

It really depends on how accommodating the seller is.

You can look at the following to see what wonderful customer-loving people TomTom are! I'm still fighting with them nearly four months on!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055057863

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote:
    Where I am, there are a couple of minor roads, one going off down to an old castle, and another which gives some bungalows access to the main R road. Both appear on the Navteq map reporter and neither are visible on Teleatlas Map Insight. the only Navteq error that I can see is that they got the wrong name for the river - "Cashel" instead of "Feale". As I try not to drive down the river, if at all possible, that mistake doesn't bother me too much.
    Post the lat/long of a missing feature and I'll check tomtom n6 to see if it's there.
    ejmaztec wrote:
    Despite what Teleatlas/TomTom say, Navteq still has the upper hand, here anyway.
    I have found the TA data in ttn6 to be about on par with Navteq's, and it scores extra for having toll roads.

Thanks - if you go on the Navteq Map reporter site and enter 52.4380 Latitude and -9.4461 Longitude, you can see the R555 and the two minor roads north of it.

From tomtom 6...

They managed to find the small one - must have been distracted 25 metres further on!

That pic I posted was from the 6.60 maps.

Below is 6.75.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Which map version was that from? Is it from the UK and IE and major routes of Europe v6.75 set?

I've heard that the Western and Central Europe maps (1.7gb) in size might be better.

The 6.60 ones are Western Europe but the 6.75 is UK & Ireland. I might see if I can find someone with the 6.75 Western Europe and have a look.

Same point on v6.75 Western Europe maps.

Very interesting! Teleatlas isn't doing itself any favours by not matching their Map Insight details with those of their map releases.

This is what the site says:

"Note: The maps on this site may not be exactly the same as the maps provided on the device or website where the problem was seen."

Perhaps they're not quite as bad as we have all been led to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I have an agreement from Tomtom that they're going to give me the new Teleatlas maps for free having bought my GPS last week. It has Navteq on it now and Im still mulling over whether to remove the navteq and install the teleatlas.

Is there a way I can back up the navteq ones and try the teleatlas to see are they any better, and if not, revert back to navteq?

You can just back up the TomTom map directory onto your hard drive, as far as I know. You can also, depending on how much space there is, have both versions on the same device, provided the directories have different names of course!

Trotter wrote:
    I have an agreement from Tomtom that they're going to give me the new Teleatlas maps for free having bought my GPS last week. It has Navteq on it now and Im still mulling over whether to remove the navteq and install the teleatlas.

Is there a way I can back up the navteq ones and try the teleatlas to see are they any better, and if not, revert back to navteq?

I was of the impression that only the tt ONE and Rider have Navteq maps, and that everything else is Tele Atlas? And that you can't chop and change between TA and Navteq maps?

JHMEG wrote:
    I was of the impression that only the tt ONE and Rider have Navteq maps, and that everything else is Tele Atlas? And that you can't chop and change between TA and Navteq maps?

I've a tomtom one europe with Navteq. The tomtom one GB has teleatlas as far as I know.

They have just released a replacement map for the navteq.. made by teleatlas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

mbroaders wrote:
    I bought a tomtom europe v2 last week. Do i need to pay to update the map to 6.75 or is it a free update?

I am in the same boat as you. According to this forum TomTom are giving free upgrades to anyone with v6.6 maps.
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54770&start=30

However are the new v6.75 maps for Western Europe Teleatlas and not Navteq? If this is the case then would we better off not upgrading?

ElNino wrote:
    However are the new v6.75 maps for Western Europe Teleatlas and not Navteq? If this is the case then would we better off not upgrading?

The new ones are Teleatlas. Thats what Im trying to find out too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I bought my tomtom one europe (navteq map version) less than a month ago, version 6.6 so would I be eligible for a free upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

An update.

I bought a tomtom one europe with navteq mapping on 28th march. I chanced my arm and emailed them on the 29th of april, asking for a free update of the recently released newer teletas maps of Ireland, saying I wouldn't have bought the tomtom if I knew a newer map was just around the corner. I got the following email this morning.
    Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

I write to inform you that the new map version has been assisgned to your TomTom account.

Please find the following step to be able to transfer the files from the original SD card to the new one. Make sure that your device is connected to your computer when doing this.

1) Make a backup of the original SD card by using TomTom Home (If you already created one go to step 2)

2)To format the SD card go to;
    My Computer > Devices with removable storage > TomTom (either drive E: or F:)
    Right click on the TomTom icon device and select format

3) Go to My Documents > TomTom > HOME > Backups > GO > Backup0 > Storage
    The three folders that you need to transfer over are 'Western Europe', 'Voices' and 'Zip'
    You would need to drag and drop these folders in the formatted SD card
    My Computer > Devices with removable storage > TomTom (either drive E: or F:)

After the three folders are in the formated SD card go to TomTom Home, click on 'Download your update'. TomTom home will download the latest software application.

Should you encounter any problems please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

I take it I can revert back to the navteq maps (by backing up the navteq card) if the new teletas Irish maps are ****?

Advertisement