Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

saab

Options
  • 17-04-2007 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

mornin

does anyone know who makes the diesel 1.9 engine thats found in the new saab 95?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=617335

im looking at this car, what are the diesel engines like?
    and also is this car priced right?

are they expensive to service and how reliable are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FIAT makes the 1.9 diesel engine. That engine is excellent

The asking price is very optimistic, to put it mildly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

unkel wrote:
    FIAT makes the 1.9 diesel engine. That engine is excellent

The asking price is very optimistic, to put it mildly

i thought so... how reliable are the new saabs?

the selection of diesel autos is very small in ireland , without going german

what_car wrote:
    how reliable are the new saabs?

Recent Saabs are based on the Opel Vectra platform. Have a look here for more info
    what_car wrote:
    the selection of diesel autos is very small in ireland , without going german

True, but not just in Ireland. Hopefully other manufacturers will finally start to cop on and listen to the requirements / wishes of their (potential) customers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know looks are subjective but of all the people I have asked not one liked the looks of the facelifted 9-5. It looks like Dame Edna from the front.

Anyway looks aside as Unkel says the 1.9 Fiat Multijet is very highly rated, I have never heard of any issues with them. The rest of the car I don't know but Saabs these days are owned by GM and are based on GM cars but really I don't know how reliable the car will be as I have never owned one. One thing I would be concerned with though is depreciation which is pretty hard on SAABs so be prepared to either hold on to the car for a long time or bite the bullit come resale time.

Also that ad doesn't say which version it is. They are available in 120bhp and 150bhp, the latter being my choice. I think €40k is very optimistic indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

bazz26 wrote:
    I know looks are subjective but of all the people I have asked not one liked the looks of the facelifted 9-5. It looks like Dame Edna from the front.

Lawl Bazz.
    I was just thinking that when one passed me today.

Seriously fugly cars imo.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    the facelifted 9-5. It looks like Dame Edna from the front

ROFL :D

Is that the model with the huge amount of chrome around all the light units? Or is that an optional "chrome" pack or something? It looks ridiculous imho and that says something because I like chrome...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I like Saabs, but not this one:
    06_Saab_95_bioPower_frontangle_mfr_430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..shades of the Jeremy Clarkson 'crashing into Halfords' front window' comment on that one...........

time for a body kit to make your NEW one look like the OLD one.....who'd have thunk it ?;)

Excellent engine, btw, I know someone who put almost 100k mls on his in 3 years - absolutely no probs whatsoever. My brother has a 110k mile petrol auto Saab, and he's had no issues, either...........apart from a radio, easily fixed. Good value s/hand.

Thing is, as you've found, diesel autos (and not big engined ones...) are thin on the ground.

Any chance of a discount for the gawdawful looks :)) ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My next door neighbour bought a 2.0t biopower 95 a few weeks ago to replace his older petrol 95. It doesn't look so bad in silver, because it seems to hide the manky chrome bits :D

Apparently it generates 30bhp more when you run it on E85 instead of petrol alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Have this engine (150PS) in my Vectra. Fantastic engine. Never gives any problems very economical and has loads of torque.......also the turbo makes a lovely little whistling sound :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    ROFL :D

Is that the model with the huge amount of chrome around all the light units? Or is that an optional "chrome" pack or something? It looks ridiculous imho and that says something because I like chrome...

Yeah it's the one with the large chrome around the headlights. Same as the one in Peasant's post.

It's ugly all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

bazz26 wrote:
    Also that ad doesn't say which version it is. They are available in 120bhp and 150bhp, the latter being my choice. I think €40k is very optimistic indeed.

I'd say the 120bhp would be underpowered for the 9-5, it's ok in my 9-3, but it won't win any races! Price is optomistic

On servicing - mine is due so I rang the three Dublin main dealers (needs to be to maintain warranty)

1) About €300
    2) About €550
    3) About €380 but also said that mine didn't need it at the moment and that I should wait for few thousand more K (30K in fact) - I think this is where I'll be going.

All based on an 06 93 with 24K on the clock

Advertisement