Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any advice?

Options
  • 17-04-2007 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

hey guys im hopin someone here can offer me a few words of wisdom about buying my first car. I have about 8000 euro, but that has to go towards tax, running costs for about a year and if the car has no cd player, a new stereo. (my parents agreed to insurance for my 18th birthday)

so im just lookin for what you would recommend in that price range?

my ideal cars would be a mark 4 golf or a ford focus but im aware that theyre a little outta my price range at the mo. i was also considering maybe a mistsubishi mirage asti (the coupe).

thanks a mil

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Corolla/Colt/Fiesta!!

All depends on what type of car you want aswell.

Hatchback/Coupe/Saloon??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't spent it all in one go.

The car is going to cost you more in upkeep than you think right now ...tyres, service, the odd repair, it all adds up.

Also, as this is your first car, you're bound to put a few scrapes and dings into it, which reduces its resale value drastically.

My advice would be, to buy as cheap as possible (while still getting reliability) and save your money for another year when you're more experienced and then buy the car you really want.

A Micra or something like it will be just fine for scraping it off walls for the first year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Same here, get a car for as litle as possible and have enough to pay the bill for running it and BTW stay away from Mitsubishi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

peasant wrote:
    Also, as this is your first car, you're bound to put a few scrapes and dings into it, which reduces its resale value drastically.
    Ah dont worry it aint my first time drivin:D Have been drivin my mams mazda 6 for the last year so im grand at drivin by now.
    louie wrote:
    Same here, get a car for as litle as possible and have enough to pay the bill for running it and BTW stay away from Mitsubishi.
    Oh ye? Wjy do you say that??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

louie wrote:

Whats wrong wit mitsu?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What you need is something like a 323 or Leon. The Golf is an underwhelming drive in 1.4 form anyway. The Focus is nice but there's just something about it that strikes me as not being a young guy's car even though 2 friends have them.

If you've passed your test and sticking to 1.4 isn't an insurance problem since you're not paying then something like this
    is apparently a great drive and will be relaible in general. Plus at that price even if the insurance does pose a problem you've got about 4k left over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

go for a focus tdci, should be better than the petrol (poke wise) and prob easier on the insurance

Advertisement