Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ledge in the shower

Options
  • 17-04-2007 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi All

I have seen some interior design books where there is a kind of hole in the wall (to hold towels etc). Its fully tiled etc so looks part of the bathroom wall.
    I was thinking of putting one in our shower just to hold shampoo, shower gel etc. We will be plastering soon so just wondering can this be done on any wall. or does it have to be a partition wall only. Hope this makes sense!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be a bit cautious - I love the effect myself but would only do it if the recess could be created in a solid wall when it was being built. Otherwise it can only go into a partition wall. Even then the partition would not be deep enough to make more than a little ledge by the time it had been tiled etc. It would look a bit mean compared with the designer types you see in magazines. And you are creating a lot of potential angles for water to get into, you would have to make sure the shower water did not aim into it. Think of the amount of water and gloop you would put on the ledge everytime you put a shampoo bottle down, and how it would settle into nasty bits of black mildew at the back and in the grout.

Advertisement