Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Server Architecture

Options
  • 17-04-2007 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at upgrading our website at the moment, and maybe changing the architecture too. Looking for some advice.
    Currently have a SunOne Web server in a dmz talking to LAN via rmi for db calls, etc. Servlet based app.

Thinking of installing a SunOne App Server on LAN, running servlets on this with a connection pool to the DB. Servlets pass objects to the JSP's. JSP's and Static HTML on the web server in DMZ for presentation.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TabulaRasa

You could go all open source of course with Apache web server serving static content and perhaps JBoss as the J2EE application server. I am using JBoss in day to day work and it's fine.

If you don't need a full blown application server (ie don't need EJBs or Messaging) I would consider using something like Apache Tomcat.

Also AFAIK Sun also have a new open source application server called Glassfish that might be worth a look at too.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for info. Open source not a runner unfortunately due to company policy. probably dont need a full blown app server, could I run a webserver on lan hosting servlets and a web server in dmz hosting static content and jsp's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Glassfish = wrecked head.

I've not played with Sun One, but compared to jboss its a pain in the ass to configure. Then again isn';t that the whole point of j2ee?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

damnyanks wrote:
    Glassfish = wrecked head.

I'd be interested to know why you found Glassfish a pain.

I'm considering using it as an APP Server as part of the infrastructure (all open source) for a venture pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I can't remember the exact name anymore, but I had major problems getting the login domain to work. It's barely in my mind, something to do with security settings and it just never worked.

Believe it was changing the login access for the server from the internal security domain to values in a DB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Ok, well thanks for the info. Might save me a headache down the line.

Advertisement