Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what companys insure anything?

Options
  • 17-04-2007 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

NiSmO wrote:

what are they?

advice, goldenpages and let your fingers do the walking. www.quinndirect.ie , www.123.ie , www.insure.ie but to name a few.

mate of mine went with hibernian and did the ignition course. i think they are some limits, ie engine size etc but he mentioned he save close to 500euro this way

some of the limitations of the course
    http://www.hibernian.ie/direct/HibernianDirectWeb/ignition.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 45,764 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

iremex wrote:
    what are they?

advice, goldenpages and let your fingers do the walking. www.quinndirect.ie , www.123.ie , www.insure.ie but to name a few.

mate of mine went with hibernian and did the ignition course. i think they are some limits, ie engine size etc but he mentioned he save close to 500euro this way

some of the limitations of the course
    http://www.hibernian.ie/direct/HibernianDirectWeb/ignition.jsp
    one is a porche, the other is equally cool.

I'm surprised your parents can't get their own insuance company to name you on it - i'm sure they are paying a nice sun to the company at the moment as it is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you looking to get quoted on their car? Then you would need to go on their insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NiSmO wrote:

What are they?

Edit: ah others beat me to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They need to ring their insurance company, not you,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, you cannot be insured under your own name on a car you don't own, so if you want to be a named driver you have to be named on the policy of one of whoever the car is insured under - so you don't have a choice in insurer, you go with whoever your parents use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

NiSmO wrote:

Someone sounds confident.

Stark wrote:
    Someone sounds confident.
    he obviously has money - he's sorted! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

NiSmO wrote:

Sounds like a wind-up - it makes no sense that they would pay huge money to insure a 17 year old on such valuable cars, which if they own and run, would surely not be a problem to split out 5k on a 1.0L banger and it's insurance for a little runaround for junior....

Stephen wrote:
    Yeah, you cannot be insured under your own name on a car you don't own, so if you want to be a named driver you have to be named on the policy of one of whoever the car is insured under - so you don't have a choice in insurer, you go with whoever your parents use.
    just taking a step back here - the OP says his parents would prefer him to be insured on one of their cars first, yet he says he will have a full licence by the time he is getting insured. How is he learnign to drive without being insured on a car?

I know i wouldn't have been able to pass the test first time after just a few lessons in an instructors car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

"what companys insure anything?"
    why dont you ask your nearest European neighbour, many of they're left hand drive crocks that are on our roads arent fit to be insured so they should be able to sort you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Im 22 with full licence with two years no NCB only named driving experience and quinn direct seem happy enough for me to drive anything, 2.0T Skyline :€1100 FC, GT4 Celica €1100 FC etc etc. Now if only I had the funds to buy, tax and insure them!!

As previous posters said though its up to mammy and daddy to ring their insurance company and have it out with them.
    NiSmO wrote:

You aren't really in much of a position to be taking the mick outta the D4 brigade there NiSmO, getting insured on a Cayenne / 630i for your first car!:D

Hope it goes well for you though, nice start to get!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bigkev49 wrote:
    Im 22 with full licence with two years no NCB only named driving experience and quinn direct seem happy enough for me to drive anything, 2.0T Skyline :€1100 FC, GT4 Celica €1100 FC etc etc. Now if only I had the funds to buy, tax and insure them!!

Those premiums are simply mind bogglingly low. Are you sure they are correct? ;)

Last year Quinn would not even quote a mid 40's driver with max ncb and a perfect license on a Focus ST :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I'm driving an old lexus, its an LS400 1994, 4.0 V8, costs me 1350 a year on tax and 2,000 to insure with Quinn Direct. I'm 23 and have a license for 2 years, no claims on my own ins for 1 year. Since I live in WX, I get reasonable quotes. I typed in the same into the online quote generator, typed in Dublin instead of WX and it wouldn't give me a quote, said I had to ring in! Scary!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

your parents must have a lot of faith in you to drive a porsche or a 6 series, either that or they are cazy.............:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NiSmO wrote:
    Surely your parents know that they will have to name you on one of their policies?

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote:
    but if you are not and have not been insured before, we car only assume you have little road experience, bar what you gain in the lessons - which may still leave you short int he exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Those premiums are simply mind bogglingly low. Are you sure they are correct? ;)

Last year Quinn would not even quote a mid 40's driver with max ncb and a perfect license on a Focus ST :eek:

Yup they are right. Got them through the online quotes system there one day I was bored, confirmed them on the phone. My address is in North Cork though. Fairly sure that made a big difference to it. The smallest engined car I've driven since I got on the road has been a 1.5 petrol, dunno if that matters to them aswell.

Thinking of getting a 320 or 318is for the summer, €950 and €875 respectively.

To the OP: The suggestions of having your parents buy a car for you are IMO the best so far. It doesn't even have to be a complete banger if your oul lad is that worried about his image around town, why not get something like a 99-00 BMW 316 or 318/ Lexus IS200?? Great cars to get started with AND you will start your own NCB a lot sooner that way. Another plus is that it will be in your name and you won't have the conflict with your mam over who has the car at a particular time.

Surely your dad can't be that worried about image??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

NiSmO wrote:

Your name isn't Sheridan Bucket by any chance? :)
    NiSmO wrote:

Well it's true what they say. Even morons love their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

NiSmO wrote:

Some people have all the luck. I had to fork out for everything myself, unless it had to do with "education". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stark wrote:
    Well it's true what they say. Even morons love their own.

Thats unwarranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

NiSmO wrote:

FFS. Who gives a flying f*ck what anyone else thinks? Once it gets you from A to B that's all that really matters (unless it's a pink Matiz or something.... )

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stark wrote:
    Even morons love their own.

No need for that, Stark. Play nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like those policies have the €4k excess. Just don't have an accident.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement