Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasty raw veg

• 17-04-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm not a big veg eater, but it's something I want to improve. I'd like to start slowly, so I reckon having some raw veg as a 'snack' rather than a bag of crisps would be a good way to go.

I like carrots to a point, so slicing them up will be my first attempt, but are there any other veg that are tasty raw without dips, etc. Just cut 'em up and pop em in my mouth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

tasty tamatoes, mmmm mmmm good auld tamatoes cant bate em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Raw peppers, cucumber, sweetcorn (canned) and beetroot (less convenient, but if you are looking for a snack at home its good) are all delicious snacks when raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well I got:

carrots (natch)
    celery (hearts, not sure how much of that is edible, to be honest with you)
    rhubarb (used to love it as a kid, but my god, it's sour, I think I must have smothered it in sugar all those years ago. actually, is rhubarb a fruit or a veg?)
    a mango (okay, it's definitely a fruit, but yesterday was all about buying new things, today is all about trying new things :))

I considered peppers and onions (I like them almost raw with my steak, so not too much of a jump). What colour peppers should I be getting (yellow, green, red) or are they all pretty tasty raw, just a matter of "hotness"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

yellow peppers are the least bitter raw. they're actually lovely.

i also love broccoli raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i actually prefer raw veg to cooked veg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i love raw broccoli
    It might take a while to get used to the taste/texture, but it's really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

the core from raw white cabbage is also really nice.
    cauliflower stalks

also i sometimes mix up my raw veg platters with tinned artichoke hearts and asparagus. just make sure to drain them really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I am a raw Foodist and could come up with lots of suggestions but I am not allowed to by the Moderator as it is seen as me pushing my way of eating on the rest of you so I have to keep my mouth shut.
    Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

county wrote:
    i actually prefer raw veg to cooked veg

Same here.
    Raw Carrots, cabbage and some turnips are lovely raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Mentalmiss wrote:
    I am a raw Foodist and could come up with lots of suggestions but I am not allowed to by the Moderator as it is seen as me pushing my way of eating on the rest of you so I have to keep my mouth shut.
    Sad but true.
    That's absurd.... I'd like to hear any ideas you have, recipes I suppose, which would increase my intake of raw veg. How can anybody object to that? Is there something I'm missing here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Yeah I think I recall a moderator taking exception to some of her posts about raw food. I don't think that moderator frequents this forum any more so it should be safe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RosieRo

raw cauliflower with dips like garlic/mint yoghurt is the business. Also pickled onions, gherkins and various other pickled items.

Nature Boy wrote:
    Yeah I think I recall a moderator taking exception to some of her posts about raw food. I don't think that moderator frequents this forum any more so it should be safe :D
    Well in the hope that you are correct I am posting a link to a raw food recipe site.

Shortcut to: http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

If you are incorrect then I guess that I am banned as promised the last time

and here are 2 recipes that I found elsewhere.

INGREDIENTS
    3 cups chopped broccoli
    3 cups cauliflower, chopped
    3 cups chopped celery
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
    1 cup sweetened-dried cranberries
    1 cup raw Spanish peanuts
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons grated onion
    1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
    DIRECTIONS
    In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, cauliflower, celery, peas and cranberries.
    Wisk together the sugar, salt, vinegar, grated onion, and mayonnaise. Pour dressing over the salad; add nuts and and toss well.

Broccoli & Apple salad

Organic lettuce & sprouts
    1 stalk of organic broccoli
    ½ organic apple
    1 Tbsp. soaked raw organic sunflower seeds-soaked for 6-8hrs
    Dulse powder or flakes
    Organic cold pressed olive oil & flax seed oil
    Raw organic apple cider vinegar

Peel broccoli stalks, slice and add to washed broccoli florets, lettuce & sprouts. Core and chop apple and add to salad along with drained sunflower seeds.

Sprinkle dulse powder or flakes generously over the salad then add organic cold pressed olive oil, organic cold pressed flax seed oil & raw organic apple cider vinegar to taste.

Mix and enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Mentalmiss wrote:
    If you are incorrect then I guess that I am banned as promised the last time
    That would be insane.... that's just the sort on info I'm looking for and wholly appropriate to the forum.

those recipes look great mentalmiss. the only thing i was wondering though, is if you can eat mayo on a raw food diet. as in, do you eat eggs? i am vegan and would substitute for vegan mayo anywa, but just wanted to know out of curiousity. :D

I have lots of dressing recipes. I can forward as an email to anyone that wants them

Mayonnaise ¨

Blend until smooth:

½ c almonds, soaked and peeled
    1/4 cup water
    ½ lemon, juiced
    1 small garlic clove
    ½ tsp salt
    Add in a steady stream, until emulsified:
    1 ½ c olive oil
    Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Mayo

-2 cups soaked pine nuts or cashews (I used cashews, maybe they're just sweeter?)
    -1/2 cup oil (I use hemp oil, olive oil would work too)
    -1/2 cup lemon juice
    -1 t salt
    -1 clove garlic
    -1/2 t ground mustard seed

Throw everything in the blender or processor till smooth... of course it will thicken in a couple minutes.

Cashew Mayonnaise

1 cup raw cashews
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2-3 soft dates, pitted
    1 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    dash white pepper
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1. Puree all ingredients, except oil, in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
    2. While continuing to blend, add oil in a steady stream, until emulsified.
    3. Store in a tightly sealed container the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

avocado mayo:
    1 cup pine nuts
    1 large avocado
    1 tbs. lemon juice
    2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp. Celtic sea salt
    1/2 clove garlic
    blend and use as mayo, or a dip, there's lots of uses for it, but I use it on lettuce and put tomatoes or other veggies in between, it's the same consistency as may and really yummy

oh my god those look great. i am really interested in raw food at the moment. especially since i went to the tastefest and there was a lady there with a raw food stand. best cheese cake i have ever eaten. bar none!

Advertisement