Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby's First Holiday

Options
  • 17-04-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭

We going on a family holiday next month, and my 8 month old nephew is coming along for his first foreign holiday (south of Spain). I just wanted to get advice on and hear experiences on bringing a baby abroad for the first time.

Specifically, I'm looking for tips on plane travel (how are babies ears during flights, how do you feed a baby with the liquid restrictions in airports, do airlines provide baby seats or do we have to bring one on board), and any other useful nuggets you might have!

On the holiday itself, should a baby be given a lot more water to keep him hydrated? Any tips for babies and the sun? Any other tips in general?

Feedback and personal experiences appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

In regards to travelling by plane, make sure you bring a soother and/or bottle for take off and landing as the sucking prevents the ears from popping. And make sure you bring some toys for them also to play with incase he gets bored. They will allow you to bring food for the baby as there it is an exception to the liquids regulations, although you could be asked to taste it first but it has never happened to me even though my son is nearly 6 months, he has flown 12 times so far. I'm not sure about other airlines but with Ryanair, the baby must sit on the parents lap, they give you a seatbelt for them.

With the sun, make sure he gets plenty of water (bottled water obviously) and keep him in the shade especially between 12 and 4pm and I recommend a good sun cream with the highest factor. Its best to bring your own baby food as they vary country to country even if they sell the same brand.

That is all I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

On the plane the baby will sit on an adults lap with a lap belt which will be given to you by a steward/ess. If the baby is taking formula you should be able to bring the individual serving cartons of formula on board as they are sealed. They are handy to bring for the holiday anyway as you don't have to worry about making it up. Some bottled water is high in salt I think Evian is the lowest but check this out. The water will have to be boiled as usual.
    You can get small tents in Argos and the Early Learning Centre which keeps the sun off the baby and has an SPF. They fold up very neatly and should be easy to pack. Use the highest sun factor you can get and keep the baby out of direct sunlight as much as possible. Take lots of fluids whenever you go out as a baby can dehydrate quickly.
    Have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks for the feedback, folks.... much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Years ago we took our 2 month old baby to the tropics, and 18months later I had another baby. During the 30 months or so we were there the children had between them, one minor tummy upset, one minor cold and a heat rash on one occasion. We did not have sun block but they always had a cotton hat and a cotton shirt or cape if they had to go in the sun. Obviously as you have sun block, use it. It isn't a substitute for shade though. Have a couple of cotton teeshirts for swimming in, and light long-sleeved cotton shirts and sun hats (with an all-round brim) for if he has to be in the sun. Synthetic fabrics can be useless as they let sun through. Remember you will probably have sunglasses but he won't.

If you are going somewhere where it will be hot at night put the baby in just a nappy lying on a couple of layers of towel (under a cotten sheet) and under a mosquito net. Keep everything cotton.

I used to use what was called tropical baby milk, it was lighter in some way than ordinary formula, and helps keep the baby hydrated. It probably won't be necessary and changing formula might even cause problems, but be aware that it is available.

Remember to take at least small amounts of familiar baby medicines - Calpol or whatever you use. Also take some rehydrating sachets, I can't remember what they are called but the pharmacist will know. You will need them if he gets any sort of tummy upset, I have found they can even stop a mild tummy upset.

Have a great holiday, with just common sense the baby will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some great advice, Looksee. Thanks a million.... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement