Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retriever-Labrador

Options
  • 17-04-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

HI

Can anyone help I want to get a Labrador in August. Can you tell how long beforehand I need to contact a breeder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dr.Bunson

Rescue a dog from the pound, they'll be so much more loving than a dog you buy.

Ashtown pound: 01-8383236

These websites will help you to either rescue a dog, or to contact a breeder.
    http://www.irishanimals.ie/

http://www.irishdogs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

While I would second the rescue idea (especially as rescues are brimming with Labs of all ages, shades and sizes) to say that a rescued animal is "more loving" than a bought one, is somewhat wishful thinking.

Rescued animals are not "extra grateful" or "extra loving" just because you "rescued" them.

They don't know they've been rescued, they don't know that they narrowly escaped being put down.

Any "love" or "gratitude" they may show is just normal behaviour ...what you might read into it is a different story.

EDIT:
    to answer the original question:
    If you want a dog from a specific breeder or from a specific pair of parents, you'll jsut have to go with whatever the breeding programm for that breeder / dog is and join the waiting list.

If you buy from buy&sell (not recommended) you ring the number and collect whatever it may be that is currently available and surplus to requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dr.Bunson

peasant wrote:
    While I would second the rescue idea (especially as rescues are brimming with Labs of all ages, shades and sizes) to say that a rescued animal is "more loving" than a bought one, is somewhat wishful thinking.

Rescued animals are not "extra grateful" or "extra loving" just because you "rescued" them.

Peasant, yes you can get some bad dogs from the pound. I think that the rescued once have a sense of their escape. My dog was delighted to get out of there, and I really can't overstate that enough.

I went back to the pound recently to give them some food and blanket for the dogs (it's something we do about once a year). I brought my dog with me on the last trip, she did not get out of the car, but she knew where she was.... she was absolutly terrified!!! When we left the pound she cheered up, and was all happy and excited (like she was the first time we took her away from there), as if to say "thanks for not leaving me there, and I don't ever want to go back".

peasant wrote:
    They don't know they've been rescued, they don't know that they narrowly escaped being put down.

To say that is very narrow-minded of you. Do you not watch the discovery channel? do you not know that animals CAN sense danger?

Yes, dogs can sense danger.

But they cannot connect the danger they may have felt 6 weeks ago in the pound with the pleasure they're currently feeling on your couch.

Therefore you can't expect them to be "grateful".

The reason I posted this was not to say that you can get a "bad" dog from the pound (you can get one from the breeder as well), but to tone down some peoples skewed expectations.

Just because you "rescue" a dog doesn't mean that it will forever "gratefully" follow your every wish and command.
    It'll need to be trained, controlled and corrected (if necessary) just like the one you may have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I agree with Peasant, dogs do not know how to be grateful...
    But it is so rewarding to rescue a dog... so rewarding.
    I am really proud of one dog in particular I rescued, he is just a different dog to what he was last August. When we got him he didnt even understand that a human voice could be directed towards him. Now he is a happy contented friendly creature.
    I am so proud of what I have done with him, and I didnt have a lot to be proud of last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

It's certainly rewarding to rescue a dog. I rescued my Kya from the animal sanctuary in Collon about 4 years ago, you couldn't find a nicer dog.

yogidc26, I would recommend that you do rescue a dog as well, there are too many unwanted dogs out there.

Good Luck
    Annika:)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I'd second the whole not buying from the buy and sell comment. I'd think about a rescue dog if I were you (I live with 2 rescue labs who are fantastic pets) I got one of my girls when she was 2 and the other at 6 months, I missed out on the cute puppy phase but also missed out on the house training too :D

if you want to buy a puppy and don't want to consider the rescue option, I'd get in touch with IKC now & ask them for a list of breeders, and get in touch with them with regards to the exact procedure etc, and please make sure you insist on seeing the parents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

if you want to buy a puppy and don't want to consider the rescue option, I'd get in touch with IKC now & ask them for a list of breeders, and get in touch with them with regards to the exact procedure etc, and please make sure you insist on seeing the parents :)

I second that advice, the IKC site has a list of the chairperson's/secretary's of each breed club in Ireland and contact details. When we were looking for a lab we got in touch with the sec. of the Irish Labrador Retreiver Association and she was able to tell us offhand if there were any litters available or coming up. So if you called them now she might be able to tell you if theres any planned for August. The one we got really is a gorgeous lab, and most of the breeders who she would reccomend only breed for the love of the breed, you know youll be getting a fine healthy dog! ;)

But if youre not going to be picky, I would reccomend having a look around for a rescue lab. They can be really lovely. We're hoping to get one as a friend for our big guy soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

where did the op ask for advice or info on rescuing a lab??

contact the ikc and get contact details for a reputable breeder, view both parents, see the mom with the puppies, ask for vet checks medical history, vaccine chart, inquire were the parents heart tested, dam hip scored, lnes tested etc.. ensure the breeders are hygiene friendly ask for a written agreement that you can get the puppy vet checked also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

where did the op ask for advice or info on rescuing a lab??

Nowhere, but a lot of people in Ireland dont realise just how many nice dogs (purebred or otherwise) end up in pounds and rescues. Most people offered info on both rescuing and breeders. Theres nothing wrong with offering this kind of information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

fits wrote:
    Nowhere, but a lot of people in Ireland dont realise just how many nice dogs (purebred or otherwise) end up in pounds and rescues. Most people offered info on both rescuing and breeders. Theres nothing wrong with offering this kind of information.

I'd 2nd that - no harm at all in looking at the rescue option.
    In fact I know of someone who got a beautiful pure Lab from rescue - there are plenty of them about and most rescues take great care to vaccinate and health check puppies - something a lot of dodgy " breeders " don't do
    You've all heard the stories.

Edited to add - the pure breed lab from a rescue was a 8 week old puppy - there were 2 litters of them !
    So do have a little sneaky peek on www.irishanimals.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Thanks To you all for the answers. The only reason that im not get a rescue dog is I have a baby girl at home (9 months) and want the dog and her to grow up together and I think a Labrador is the best dog for that

Thanks

You are aware that for the first 3 months or so a pup is going to be as much (if not more) work as a baby ...except that you will be "emptying" rather than "filling" it during the night :D

Also, in the following months a young pup discovering its teeth and all its possible bad habits needs to be watched with eagle eyes and corrected on a permanent basis in order to prevent it from developing into a right hooligan.

Only get a pup if you're sure that you can give it the attention it needs on top of looking after your young child.

Advertisement