Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing nesting birds from chimney

Options
  • 17-04-2007 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Anyone know of who in Limerick I could call to remove birds from my chimney. There has been a family of birds/chicks in there for the last 2-3 weeks and they are starting to drive us crazy.

They are a black bird smaller than a crow - possibly jackdaws. I would have a go myself but the house is three storeys high and terraced so I cant just get a ladder. I probably wouldn't want to risk it anyway.

Is it a job for pest control or does anyone have a solution. We have people coming to stay at the weekend and I need to get them out by then. Just going to nip out know but will check this thread later.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

hiya,

well to be honest i'm not sure but maybe start with pest control and they can point you in the right direction if they can't help.....

i know my dad cleared a chimney the other day but it was just stuff birds had out in rather than having a nest of birds in there......i fear though that if there is babies in there alot of people won't go at it till the babies leave.....

no good to you though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The Co-op shop in Raheen sells cleaning pipes that would allow
    you to knock out a nest/blockage.

There was a Hardware store down near the round house near the
    market place that used to sell Cowels(spelling??) that went over the chimney
    top to stop nesting.

I had two dead crows in my Chimney at one stage and there was flys coming
    down into my living room after a few days. Can remember who I called though.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

find yourself a good old fashioned chimney sweep, they'll get them out for you, then again haven't heard of any chimney sweeps offering their services since late 80's early 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jimbozo

Find yourself a good old fashioned chimney sweep,

I did indeed get hold of an old fashioned chinmey sweep in the golden pages. Lellis & Sons said they will clear it for €30. They will supply and fit a chimney cap/thing to prevent further trouble for an additional €30.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Serena08

I have the same problem in a new house in Dublin . It can get very noisery during the day so annoying :mad:but I don't want the birds harmed mite try a swimney sweep as suggested cheers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Light a fire;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Can you not wait until the chicks move on? What will you do if a nest is knocked down and a bunch of baby jackdaws decide your their daddy?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would have assumed that any good chimney sweep would know the law with regards to removing a nest with young in it. You would need to be 100% sure of what species of bird is in it.

A jackdaw is what most people call a crow in this country, the larger birds are rooks and carrion crows.

Another possibility is that it is starlings, which have no protection under law.

I am only in the house 4 weeks and it's seems to be getting louder and louder each day so I think the birds must be nearly grown by now :)maybey I will give it a few more weeks and do something then but as I Said already I don't want to harm the birds .... but I have been lighting the fire purely for heating and it dosen't seem to bother them :) thanks for the replys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

mark1974 wrote: »
    Light a fire;)
    Thats what id do. Or just start charging them rent

• Advertisement

Rent if only :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

On a serious note, I had starlings in my roof-space and they drove me f**kin nuts. It was their young, squealing for food that was the worst. It lasted about two months and then they were gone. But they did come back the following year and the year after that. So when you do get them removed make sure they cannot come back. It did my head in:mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement