Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking 101

Options
  • 17-04-2007 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi All
    After the mass hysteria caused by last night's 'Future Sh!te', we are gonna try make our little nest a tad more comfortable seeing as it looks like we'll be there before, during and after the 'crash' :eek: , so we've decided to put in some decking..sub-frame and plank and neccessities are all purchased. Now we just need to put it all together.
    Can anyone recommend an online site/guide on how to install decking? For the moment it's just the flat decking, posts/railing to go in later...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

One caution about decking, it is preferable to keep it away from the property as it CAN BE a haven for undersirable furry things to nest between it and the residence!

Hi All
    After the mass hysteria caused by last night's 'Future Sh!te', we are gonna try make our little nest a tad more comfortable seeing as it looks like we'll be there before, during and after the 'crash' :eek: , so we've decided to put in some decking..sub-frame and plank and neccessities are all purchased. Now we just need to put it all together.
    Can anyone recommend an online site/guide on how to install decking? For the moment it's just the flat decking, posts/railing to go in later...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi All

Where did ye purchase do you mind me asking, what sort of money are you looking at? We are also at that stage, but just getting prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lilliputprinces

We bought 25 ft sq of decking, subfrmae, nails, polythene (does the same thing as the more expensive Mypex) for €415 - ABS Building Supplies, on the Nangor Road (they moved there recently, used to be on Naas road). We're putting it together this weekend so will let you know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

This low maintenance composite decking might be worth a look. I have no experience of it mind! Perhaps someone on here might have it installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

paulocon wrote:
    This low maintenance composite decking might be worth a look. I have no experience of it mind! Perhaps someone on here might have it installed?

The Earthwood decking is made in Mullingar, great job IMO but expensive. My boss installed some last year, in particular it has very good slip resistance properties, so if you have a lot of trees about which cause normal decking to become very slippy it's a great idea. Like they say no cracks or splits and no maintenance, looks like it will last a very long time. AFAIR it's 3 times the price of standard softwood decking:eek: but then you are getting a lot of benefits for your money...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

for 17 sqm of decking, 9m of railing,3sqm of fascia plus steps on 125*44mm I have been priced for SUPPLY ONLY:

Redwood ( Scandinavian pine) - 1591.06
    Hardwood (massaranduba) - 3617.04
    Timbertech (composite Decking) - 3815.48

So that gives u an idea of what sort of prices are going around

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do-more wrote:
    The Earthwood decking is made in Mullingar, great job IMO but expensive. My boss installed some last year, in particular it has very good slip resistance properties, so if you have a lot of trees about which cause normal decking to become very slippy it's a great idea. Like they say no cracks or splits and no maintenance, looks like it will last a very long time. AFAIR it's 3 times the price of standard softwood decking:eek: but then you are getting a lot of benefits for your money...

I have yet to see anything positive about composite decking...
    From what I have read it usually develops a mould and sagging problem and cannot be refinished as with wood.

If it starts to sag then you are hosed as it cannot be refixed and is also not a structural material.

http://www.gardenstructure.com/composite_decking.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

I was gonna go for decking but way too expensive, why not try patio with nice stones. Mine cost about €400 - 200 on stones, 100 on weed fabric, 100 on the border wood !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cormacmccann

Greebo,

The composite decking which suffered those problems was 1st generation composite decking. Much has improved since then. There are no major problems with sagging and interms of renewing the surface just take some sand paper to it. The reason composite decking is sometimes made to look like wood is because that is what people are traditionally interested in. It's worth listening to the opinion of people who have installed it and use it. In Ireland they are very happy. We've done Testing to prove that it's slip resistance is significantly better than timber in both wet and dry conditions.

In relation to the pricing, Earth-wood is likely to be cheaper than the Timber-tech as it is actually made here in Ireland, not shipped over from the US. If you want futher information Greebo let me know and I can send you a sample etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The Shed Man in Kilkee close to Rathfarnham stocks a composite deck that looks a lot better than any other composite I've seen, it looks a lot more natural. I can't remember the name of it, it cost €61 sqm and 90 a metre for the fences.

• Advertisement

Greebo,

The composite decking which suffered those problems was 1st generation composite decking. Much has improved since then. There are no major problems with sagging and interms of renewing the surface just take some sand paper to it. The reason composite decking is sometimes made to look like wood is because that is what people are traditionally interested in. It's worth listening to the opinion of people who have installed it and use it. In Ireland they are very happy. We've done Testing to prove that it's slip resistance is significantly better than timber in both wet and dry conditions.

In relation to the pricing, Earth-wood is likely to be cheaper than the Timber-tech as it is actually made here in Ireland, not shipped over from the US. If you want futher information Greebo let me know and I can send you a sample etc.

Id be very interested in a sample actually...
    How long has the 2nd gen stuff been in use?
    How can you sand it, wouldnt that destroy the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cormacmccann

Progress has been made over the last 20 years since the first WPC's were produced in the US. Different grades of plastic, correct blends of Plastic and Natural fibres as well as the use of other additives have improved strength and performance. This work is still on going so further improvements will be made in the future.

PM me and send me your address and I'll send you a sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 conceptdecking

I have only just spotted this forum so apologies if this info is too late.The reason for the sagging of the board is poor substructure,the base of your decking is the most important part of the decking.My company fits composite decking only(no timber)and have no problems with sagging or warping.This is an excellent,no hassle product if fitted properly.Hope this helps

I have only just spotted this forum so apologies if this info is too late.The reason for the sagging of the board is poor substructure,the base of your decking is the most important part of the decking.My company fits composite decking only(no timber)and have no problems with sagging or warping.This is an excellent,no hassle product if fitted properly.Hope this helps
    Out of interest, how long have you been fitting composite decking?
    Do you have any customers who have decking 3+ years old who are willing to be references?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Welcome to the forum conceptdecking, please take some time out to read the forum charter and enjoy your stay.

Advertisement