Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pvc kitchens v's solid wood

Options
  • 17-04-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi

Have seen a lovely kitchen in walnut - but its pvc, the kitchen guys says pvc cost 33% less than solid wood, can anyone tell me the pros and cons?
    we have a large kitchen, the first quote for solid wood was 12.5k without a worktop or applicances??? we have given ourselves a limit of 15k (everything included)

has anyone lived with pvc kitchen?? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

We're getting a new kitchen and the guy we're using handmade kitchens himself for years - now just designs, buys in the units, doors etc and arranges fitting. He showed us a lovely new door yesterday - contemporary slab walnut vinyl. You really wouldn't know the difference and he said he actually preferred it to the wood as no-one now wants a kitchen that lasts 25 years anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got the "vinyl" myself as was told that real wood soaks up the steam and say the fat spatters etc and harder to clean and after 2 years I agree with the advice. Yes real wood does look that small bit better but not as easy to live with as wood is a living thing and can warp/crack etc and needs more care.
    I would be very slow to get real wood anymore for kitchen and theres some excellent stuff out there especially coloured comtemporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Just got a new kitchen in, was told it was 'real' wood but it's actually mdf very nicely painted. I can't complain about the quality. My sister had the coated pvc doors and a lot of it has lifted at heat sources, around the cooker etc.I wouldn't recommend. I had real cherry wood doors previously and didn't have any problems with soakage or cleaning but I agree that most people won't keep a kitchen for a lifetime, mine were perfect, I just got sick of looking at them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mother in law has a PVC coated kitchen in for 2 years, noticed over the last few weeks that the PVC is coming away from the wood on 2 doors!!
    Not good at all!

Advertisement