Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best guitar teaching dvds...

Options
  • 17-04-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me if there are any real quality guitar lesson dvds or videos out there- not just for beginner level? I cant seem to find one that deals with guitar theory - ie learning the fretboard, scale theory etc...
    Also are there any good blues guitar dvds out there?

any of the ones ive ever come across tend to be really expensive but dont really show anything of any real substance. Ive recently ordered eric johnsons fine art of guitar dvd because i believe its one of the best on the market (also cause im a fan)
    but are there any other ones out there that would suit somebody whose been playing a long time but needs to go back and learn the theory side of things???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

firstly what would be your definition of theory????

is it that you want to read 'musical notation' or is it that you want to learn tablature, name of actual notes on the neck or just reading tablature?

scale theory??is it the name of the differant scales and diagrams of the notes and steps your after?

you might find something interesting on www.freelicks.net, he has inspired confidence with his streamed guitar lessons that are streamed on the site(you can learn solo's and fulll songs on the site also with no charge, great site imo)
    should have something along the lines that your looking for and its free, hope it helps;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I know you've asked for a DVD, but I cant help but suggest you'd be better off with a book for learning theory.

By all means get a few DVDs for licks and watching your favourite players show how they do stuff, but I couldnt imagine trying to learn theory off a DVD, it's much handier IMO to be able to flick back and forwards though a book and absorb stuff at your own pace.

And you can be learning on the loo of course... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

for theory books really are your best bet
    if you want to learn to read standard notation look for the berklee book A Modern Method for Guitar
    for learning the position of notes and all that, Fretboard Logic is probally the best.

dvd wise, Rock Discipline is probally the best out there, it can be pretty expensive but worth it if you work through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭brian crackout

ok thats cool ill probably end up getting some books and dvds - thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

you might find something interesting on www.freelicks.net, he has inspired confidence with his streamed guitar lessons that are streamed on the site(you can learn solo's and fulll songs on the site also with no charge, great site imo)
    should have something along the lines that your looking for and its free, hope it helps;)

Great find this site......cheers!!!
    I've found my playing improve a lot the past few weeks.
    Anyone here buy his dvd?

Advertisement