Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions on a new monitor

Options
  • 17-04-2007 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey guys any suggestions on a new monitor. I would like on between 19" - 21"" inches for around 300 euro. I play alot of games so one thats capable of runing games at high resoultions.

Got a good system with a 8800GTX.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'd go with a Samsung they are generally good and a safe bet.

19" 931BW is a widescreen display with a maximum supported resolution of 1440x990. This is a good choice if your hardware is not up to the task of driving games at the native resolution of the display (i.e. the maximum resolution).

20" 206BW is a widescreen display with a maximum supported resolution of 1680x1050. Slightly over budget but a good screen with a high resolution on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Viewsonic, biased of course.

OCUK are doing some deal on the new VX22??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I have the 19" samsung and its great! Im upgrading to a 22" soon!

Its really shiny :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

resolution on both those samsung monitors is pretty poor tho! i mean theyre perfect for my ps3, but for the pc i would much rather have a higher resolution monitor. they really are fantastic looking monitors, but just the resolution might get to you if you play alot of games

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

I can't recommend this one enough. It's only 19 inch and only 1440x900, but the picture quality is excellent and the inputs put it ahead of the others I think. I've got a DVD recorder hooked up using Scart, Sky+ using the standard coaxial tuner input, PC through DVI and my Wii through RGB inputs. The basis of a complete compact system.

Kevpatts

• Advertisement

resolution on both those samsung monitors is pretty poor tho! i mean theyre perfect for my ps3, but for the pc i would much rather have a higher resolution monitor. they really are fantastic looking monitors, but just the resolution might get to you if you play alot of games

1440x990 & 1680x1050 are nothing to be sneezed at certainly better than 720p (1280x720). Going higher will cost a lot more money and into extreme resolutions which would require some serious hardware to play games at native resolution of panel like 2048x1535 or 2560x1600.

You can always opt to play at a lower resolution but it wont always looks as nice also PS3 need HDMI inputs which neither of those have though a DVI adapter may work you'd need to sort something out for the audio as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

8T8 wrote:
    ... also PS3 need HDMI inputs which neither of those have though a DVI adapter may work you'd need to sort something out for the audio as well.
    Just a note, on the one I suggested, there are audio inputs for every video input. Video inputs are:
    VGA (D-Sub)
    DVI
    Componant RCA (i.e. Red, Green, Blue)
    Composite RCA (i.e. Yellow)
    SCART
    Coaxial (old school TV cable)

I can't recommend it enough.

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Viewsonic, biased of course.

OCUK are doing some deal on the new VX22??

Bought two Viewsonic 20" (vp203b - 1600x1200) about 2 yrs back in the states. Fantastic monitors. Granted they are the VP series, and are about 300-400 eur more than the cheaper versions, but the pic is great for both desktop use and gaming. Had one of the backlights go in them after about a year, and had a new one to replace it within 24 hrs. Good support service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

I just bought the Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 931BW (1440 x 900 / 60 Hz)
    and I'm very happy with it, very well made monitor and has both DVI and VGA inputs.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=331153

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Also happy with my Viewsonic. Could do with a slightly higher response time, I find scrolling in strategy games can be a bit upsetting, not blurry, but still not as good as a CRT of course.

I use a dell 2007 WFP in work, have only played red alert 2 on it, but i would choose the viewsonic over it any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324783

i recommend this its under 300 euro and looks like a totally sweet moniter

Got a good system with a 8800GTX.

I see you have edited your post if you have an very powerful card like the 8800GTX then get the Samsung 206BW with the 1680x1050 resolution which is my recommendation as it can easily handle that resolution with games.

Now there are bigger monitors but those are going past your budget of 300 which is my the 20" Samsung is the best in the category as it is a little over budget as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭gav_69

Thanks for all the very helpful advice lads. I ll have to have a look at all these monitors now.

Cheers

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

22" samsung ftw €409.00 :D (I know its over you budget but im trying to imagine my 19" as a 22" :eek: )

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭gav_69

Hey Lads i finally went with the Samsung 206BW got a discount of 20 euro off it so im happy, cant wait to receive it.

Cheers for all the helpful replys.

Regards,

Gav.

Advertisement