Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library card scanner things

Options
  • 17-04-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

It's not particularly important but are the scanner things to get into the library starting to annoy anyone else.

I find some of them to be getting very unresponsive, long since gone is the day when I'd smirk at the bimbo girls waving their cards in the vicinity of the scanners like some kind of wand, then breeze through effortlessly myself. I suspect the fact that the same clods have switched to massaging the thing with their cards leaving some of them quite scratched could be part of the problem.

Having said all that, it could just be me...

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i think the scanners are very poor quality - compared to the ones in the selfscan machines in tesco/superquinn. also a lot of people's barcodes are faint from being rubbed in a wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It's very slow for me too. The one on the right as you go in is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's very slow for me too. The one on the right as you go in is the worst.

I've noticed that too and it's a lot more scratched than the one on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I actually dont think its the scanners.I think its our poor quality student cards that are the problem. I had to get my student card changed six times before It would work in the mc Auley (Mater) swiper.The Mater student adviser said that out student cards are really poor quality and easily scratched so tthe scanner doesnt pick up on them most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

if you run the card over slowly its grand. Too often have I seen people ramming it across or smacking it down and then getting upity that it takes forever. People should learn how to use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its the gack student card quality. Mine always faded badly, especially if I had it out my wallet because I kept scanning it or taking out books.

sometimes if you're really stuck, look up at the card when it's over the scanner and make sure one of the red laser scan lines is on the entire barcode

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

People just hover it over the scanner and they get held up. I find placing it on the actual red screen works fine every time.

GusherING wrote:
    People just hover it over the scanner and they get held up. I find placing it on the actual red screen works fine every time.

That's the way you're meant to use them though. At the beginning you could move your card slowly across the scanner and it would work every time but I've noticed, either since they've become scratched from people rubbing their cards on them, or simply since by this stage in the year people's cards are faded, you could be there a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'm even finding the ones in the Health Sci library quite slow and they're pretty much brand new.

I'm putting it down to the faint ink of the student cards. It's a lot paler than the one I had in first year.

In saying all that I've know problems when I use the self service scanner to take out books so maybe it is the glass...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Health Sci ok for me, my card isn't too worn. I just lay it on the scanner, keep it to the left and puch it forward. Does the trick every time.

As for the main library, bit of a nightmare, I've been there for about 40 seconds before (I know because a hungry mate started timing me!)

it's worse when you're trying in vain to exit and librocop is sitting watching you with a satisfied grin on his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I'm in and out of the library quite a lot these days and will be so for a long long time so I've perfected the art of the scan. All the same sometimes out of nowhere it just won't work, and of course LC is there to bask in the glory of the moment. Watching it happen to three people at once is always amusing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I used to tut tut at people who couldn't scan in and out with ease. Then itall stopped working properly for me. Ah cruel fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I must sadly join the "used to sneer at stupid people banging their student card/head against it while grunting in frustration until the damn things got broken and now I can't get in..." club (also, now that i'm a member, i think usspbschawgfdtbnicgi is a pretty ****ty acronym and we need to work on the name)

Only noticed it yesterday, exit ones and the left entrance one work okay for me, right entrance won't let me in at all. Card is quite scratched too, though i've always kept it safe in my wallet... Curses. The stupid people dun b0rked it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Right entrance scanner seems ****ed all the time, always people getting stuck there and thats going back a couple of months

The far left exit one has been acting well gay the last few times i've used it too.

I don't think our students cards are the problem, there are some scanners that are just sh!tter than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

same thing happened to me today when i was popping down to the shop. Librocop told me that the glass on the scanners was worn. the best one for exiting is the far right one (according to Librocop). so there you go. hope that helps with embarrassment! i hate it when i get stuck!

Font22 wrote:
    Librocop told me that the glass on the scanners was worn.

Since whatever librocop says is unequivocally true I'm going to take that as proof of my theory that it's the clods rubbing their cards on the glass pane that's screwing them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

humbert wrote:
    Since whatever librocop says is unequivocally true I'm going to take that as proof of my theory that it's the clods rubbing their cards on the glass pane that's screwing them up.

Which means it's only going to get worse since as it gets harder to scan in and out more people are going to be rubbing their cards on the pane.

Oh for the days when you could just wal in and out of the library without all this nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

scop wrote:
    I've perfected the art of the scan. .

They should the art of scan it into an olympic sport.UCD would be the best university in the world at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I just got stuck coming in. Five attempts:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I love racing my friends to go in. It makes the library fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

okay... To enter the library, use the leftmost scanner. To escape, use the rightmost one. They're the only ones that work for me at all anymore... Might give my student card a scrub and see if that has an effect either way -_-.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Which means it's only going to get worse since as it gets harder to scan in and out more people are going to be rubbing their cards on the pane.

Oh for the days when you could just wal in and out of the library without all this nonsense.

Good question. What is the point of this system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

GusherING wrote:
    Good question. What is the point of this system?

Its basically for statistics, all data are collated at the end of the year. These statistics would include the turnover of books, numbers of people in the library, numbers of people querying at the information desk.

Also its for security too.

Advertisement