Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to remove vinyls/stickers?

Options
  • 17-04-2007 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I bought a car recently with a few vinyls and stickers that I want to remove to make it a bit less shouty. I'm hearing conflicting ideas as to the best way to go about this. Some are on the paintwork, some on plastic and some on glass. The main thing is to remove everything as cleanly as possible without damaging paint or plastic (obviously glass is a little easier, or it should be anyway!).

So, what's the best procedure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Heat them. Use a heat gun or better still a hair dryer to heat the sticker. This will make the glue less sticky and will also cause the sticker to be more flexible. You will still have marks on the paint from the sticker, so you probably will have to give the car a dam good polishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Hmm, someone else suggested just peeling them off slowly without heating, as this will take the glue off as well. I dunno, anyone actually done this? How did you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

boiling water pressed on for a min, then peel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

if there's any glue left, use petrol or wd40 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭domonick

i agree use a heat gun to soften the sticker then petrol or tar remover to get rid of glue if the the stickers are not on long the glue generaly comes off with stickers use a good blade to get them off the glass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

hairdryer and pull. then petrol and water to rinse the petrol off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

If your going to use a heat gun, be very carefull, those things get very hot and could damage your paint. The Hair dryer would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭domonick

use a heat gun with a heat setting

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

heat them first, then peel them slowly and use heat when needed again. For glue removing use ..... glue remover. 3M makes sticker glue remover in a spray can and I believe you should be able to get something similair in office supplies store /?/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I second the hair dryer. I use a heat gun a fair amount, and even the low setting gets damn hot, and if you're not careful, it's easy to make the paint blister.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭andyj22

( . )( . ) wrote:
    boiling water pressed on for a min, then peel...

this is the way above

Advertisement