Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU to suit - RAM suggestion aswell

Options
  • 17-04-2007 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Heya guys, Im in the middle of choosing new bits and pieces for my new build at the moment the 2 main components I have are
    MB
    CPU

There will be some of my current build used
    Case
    BFG Nvidia 7800 GTX OC
    Wireless Card
    Plextor DVD +/- RW
    2 x 19" Dell Utra Sharps
    4 / 5 USB devices inc the mouse, keyboard, webcam
    Front Panal SD Card Reader
    EDIT : I have this PSU ALREADY.

Now all that being said I have left out space for my RAM as Im not to use what Ill go for and a CPU cooler, suggestions for both please.
    What Im looking for is what would you recommend for my PSU needs taking into consideration that the GFX card will be upgraded at another point to a DX 10 card depending on what ATi bring to the playing field and that say my RAM need may to start be 2GB but could go to 4GB.
    I've had some online calculators and Im kinda looking at 1000w PSU, but then I say it to people and there like thats way way way to much, so ppl plz help (a quiet PSU would be pretty cool too :p)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This seasonic psu will be more then enough for your current needs.

And this Ram will do you fine for the ram too, and not cost the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Rattle, just hang on a few days before ordering the CPU - supposed price drop on or around 20th April.

SwampThing wrote:
    Rattle, just hang on a few days before ordering the CPU - supposed price drop on or around 20th April.

He already has the cpu and mobo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Luckily I dont :p
    They were the pieces ive decided on......... so defo think ill wait till the 20th or so and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I'd be surprised if you manage to break 300W power consumption with that machine even under load.

With SLI and a bunch of drives you still wouldn't reach 600W :)

As an alternative, I would suggest giving the modular Seasonic power supply a chance: http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323032&cks=ACC

It doesn't look like you'll have much sitting in that case, and trust me on this one, a bunch of long cables doesn't look good and doesn't help airflow either.

I've done magic with mine (S12 500W) and I'd still prefer to have the modular one (they didn't exist when I was getting it). The price is roughly the same, and it's the same make so you won't compromise on quality.

• Advertisement

netman wrote:
    I'd be surprised if you manage to break 300W power consumption with that machine even under load.

With SLI and a bunch of drives you still wouldn't reach 600W :)

As an alternative, I would suggest giving the modular Seasonic power supply a chance: http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323032&cks=ACC

It doesn't look like you'll have much sitting in that case, and trust me on this one, a bunch of long cables doesn't look good and doesn't help airflow either.

I've done magic with mine (S12 500W) and I'd still prefer to have the modular one (they didn't exist when I was getting it). The price is roughly the same, and it's the same make so you won't compromise on quality.

Cant go wrong with that psu at all.

I think Im going to stick with my PSU at the moment its quiet and at 620w it should do the trick, if not I can buy a new one then. I'm looking at the Cosair RAM as I've heard good reports from them with an Intel based machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The 620W should be more than sufficient for your hardware. A 1000W is overkill that sort of power is only required for dual flagship GPU's in SLI or Crossfire.

ATI's DX10 parts are supposedly power hungry but it remains to be seen just how much I'd go out on a limb say the 620W is probably okay for the Radeon HD 2900XT but well soon see if it is or isn't. The Radeon HD 2900XL or whatever lower end part should definitely be okay with 620W though.

Just reading up on a few things here, although I know technology constantly changes this defnitly looks like something to put a hold on my build for.
    CPU Price Drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

When that comes along there will be another price cut around the corner, and some better, faster, cheaper technology. Such is the way with computers.

I must say that you're either nuts or loaded to be spending a grand on a CPU though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement