Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you move an apple tree?

Options
  • 17-04-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

We have 3 apple trees in our back garden that I want to move. The previous owners planted them in front of the kitchen window and I want to replant them where they won't be blocking the window.

As they produce great cooking apples, I don't want to kill them off if it can be avoided. So how does one go about transplanting an apple tree sucessfully? They are about 5ft high and 8 - 9 years old I think.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wait till the winter; it's not a good time of year to be transplanting them. basically you need to get as much of the root ball as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

It might be easier to plant new pot grown trees now so that they can begin growing this season . You will need to move a very big ball of root to move a 8yr old tree ,move between Nov and Feb stake it very well to stop it rocking in the wind and prune hard so that it has less leaves to feed with the reduced roots , plenty of water .
    If you are determined to do it now , you will need lots of water and keep the leaf cover to a minimum all summer but it is risky.
    pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi Dave,

I've moved plenty of apple trees and generally they have worked out, apple trees seem to be very tough, we have good few in a garden in West Clare and when we initially planted them very early 1990 there was little or no shelter bed for them yet they hung on and are producing fruit now. As stated here, now is the wrong time to do it, but some people recommend preparing the tree for a move by getting a sharp spade cutting out the outline of the shape of the large root ball the lads have mentioned above. this is said to encourage more feeding roots near the base of the tree and within the rootball, these should grow during the high growth time, then when you go to move the tree closer to winter it should have more feeder roots increasing its chances of settling in faster for the next spring. Like Pig says it can be risky, and lots of water is good, best of luck with it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Stoner wrote:
    Hi Dave,
    now is the wrong time to do it, but some people recommend preparing the tree for a move by getting a sharp spade cutting out the outline of the shape of the large root ball the lads have mentioned above. this is said to encourage more feeding roots near the base of the tree and within the rootball, these should grow during the high growth time, then when you go to move the tree closer to winter it should have more feeder roots increasing its chances of settling in faster for the next spring. Like Pig says it can be risky, and lots of water is good, best of luck with it

This is a good idea to start to prepare the tree for moving during the winter.

Advertisement