Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

share an internet connection with 2 eircom modems

• 17-04-2007 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Ok so i have 2 netopia modems. Both the wireless ones that come with eircom broadband. the modem connected to the internet is upstairs because thats where the phone line is.
    Now I have 3 pc's downstairs that i want to connect to the internet and i'd like to know how, if its possible, cud i share the internet connection between the 2 modems. I've been told it can be done just i dont know how to get the modems to connect to eachother. any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You could probably just connect with the one upstairs...

Otherwise, check the manual / online about \'bridging\' / extended mode.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why not connect them by wireless? Far easier than what you are proposing (if I read your post correctly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Thats what im asking :) how can i get the 2 routers to talk to each other if u get me. how can i connect one to the other wirelessly

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thats what im asking :) how can i get the 2 routers to talk to each other if u get me. how can i connect one to the other wirelessly

You don't need the routers to talk to each other - you buy a wireless card for each of the pcs and you are away. The upstairs wireless router is connected to the phone line it transmits its wirless signal and the pcs with their newly installed wireless cards pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I wouldn't be gone on wireless. You could do this:

UPSTAIRS

|
    | Netopia router no. 1 with DSL connection, DHCP server, wifi enabled

++++++++++++++++++++++++

DOWNSTAIRS

|--| Linksys WET54G wireless bridge to connection wirelessly to the router upstairs and, in turn, have a wired connection to the downstairs router. You could also use a Homeplug device to use your electrical infrastructure as network cables.
    |
    |
    |
    | Netopia router no. 2 in BRIDGED mode, DHCP server OFF, wifi off or on another channel with another SSID

• Advertisement
Advertisement