Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter Tops

Options
  • 17-04-2007 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Thinking of replacing the counter tops with black marble. Has anyone done this? if so where did you get it done and how much was it? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Decks wrote:
    Thinking of replacing the counter tops with black marble. Has anyone done this? if so where did you get it done and how much was it? Cheers.

You probably mean granite (the norm) My mother just bought a house with a black granite worktop and it looks sharp, I'll try and find out who supplies it, but I know they are costly.

Your best bet is to do an internet search for bargains and you never know what you find on E-Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they look great, they're a bit impractical - anytime you knock over a cup, or knock a plate off the counter you can expect at least a chip, if not a total breakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Polish granite worktops are costly! Its not a job they can simply just cut on site and fit. Your existing worktop will need to be measured and a template made and they'll go away and come back two weeks later to fit the real thing. Watch-out for the usual damage to your splash back tiling...more cost!

What type of worktop do you have at the moment? Melamine or hardwood?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

cheers guys.

I have black hardwood, hate it, looks real cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Ours came pre fitted in the court but a friend of mine across in the grove removed the shelf type edge that borders the worktop area and had a large black granite worktop fitted that also doubles as a breakfast bar area from the other side, looks really smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

We sanded then dyed our hardwood black to give it the granite worktop look - cheap enough to do. Looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

We have wooden countertops and they are wrecked, covered in rings from cups left down (by our painter!!) and also a huge one from a hot saucepan. Anybody know anything you can do with this without replacing them entirely? Is it possible to sand them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

is it easy to sand the kitchen worktops? what does it look like when you sand it? i hate the black hardwood, looking to change the look of it or even replace it with granite tops although i think that would be pretty expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

astrofluff wrote: »
    Polish granite worktops are costly!

Buy Irish instead then.:D:D;):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Millar brothers in Roundwood do black granite and other types of stone counter tops. They do great work and you can haggle on the price a bit. I worked on sevral jobs they were on and customers found them great.

They cut one piece wrong on a job, it was not their fault the kitchen guy changed something and did not tell them. They cut a new piece and installed it in the same day and did not charge extra. I was impressed!

BTW I have black granite and I replaced the gas hob gfor a Neff ceramic hob and they look great together. It is very easy to keep clean especially when your 4 year old wants to help cooK!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

We got our black granite worktops in Banagher Stone centre. They're in Willowgrove, Delgany. They were quite reasonable. We've (well the dogs)dropped, bashed, knocked allsorts on it & not a chip yet. :) Would definately reccomend them.

Advertisement