Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Cycling Route, Please help

Options
  • 17-04-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey Guys
    I was wondering if anyone can help, apologies if this is not in the right forums but i could ont find one that seems relevant,
    Basically i'm moving into a new house in Holywell, Feiltrim/Swords (at the back of Airside Retail park) and i'm looking to cycling from there into town,
    at the moment it seems i'm abit locked between motorways

Can someone please advise me of the best route to take?
    or tell me where to place this post :S

any help would be great
    thanks

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Hey Paul,
    try this: http://www.dto-journeyplanner.ie/dtojp/jsp/content/start.do

don't know if it goes out as far as Airside but it's good for routes around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'm not 100% sure where Holywell is but, from Feltrim, there are at least two ways you can get into town without touching a motorway:

1. Go east along Feltrim Road/Baskin Lane to the Malahide Road and go straight in that way (Balgriffin > Kinsealy > Darndale > Coolock > Artane > Donnycarney > Fairview > Nth. Strand Road).

Find the Swords Road and go south to Santry > Whitehall > Drumcondra > Dorset Street.
    Ronin2009 wrote:
    Hey Guys
    I was wondering if anyone can help, apologies if this is not in the right forums but i could ont find one that seems relevant,
    Basically i'm moving into a new house in Holywell, Feiltrim/Swords (at the back of Airside Retail park) and i'm looking to cycling from there into town,
    at the moment it seems i'm abit locked between motorways

Can someone please advise me of the best route to take?
    or tell me where to place this post :S

any help would be great
    thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ronin2009

Thanks for the advise guys
    i checked out the site and pu in the route and it told me to cycle the N1 down to the Airport roundabout and then straight along the swords roads to drumcondra. tought it was abit effy being a motorway and all.
    but i rang up the DTO and they tell me i'm ok to cycle along it.
    should i get it in writing incase i'm nicked? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Ronin2009 wrote:
    Thanks for the advise guys
    i checked out the site and pu in the route and it told me to cycle the N1 down to the Airport roundabout and then straight along the swords roads to drumcondra. tought it was abit effy being a motorway and all.
    but i rang up the DTO and they tell me i'm ok to cycle along it.
    should i get it in writing incase i'm nicked? :D

N (National) classed roads are open to cyclists, M (Motorway) classed roads are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey Ronin,

I cycle these routes a fair bit (live in Killester, have family in Swords and Donabate).

My preferred route is the Malahide Road, once you're passed Clarehall going north it's fairly pleasant.

Whitehall to Santry to old Airport Road is ok too but not as nice though sometimes you can get great tows off the buses on the way into town. Don't bother with the cycle lanes on this route, they're deadly dangerous so stick to the bus lane.

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Membrane wrote:
    N (National) classed roads are open to cyclists, M (Motorway) classed roads are not.

Sunday evening last, as I was heading down the M1 from Dundalk I passed a chap riding down the hard shoulder on a a mountain bike, seemingly enjoying the scenery around him and oblivious to the cars rushing by. As far as I recall there are signs on every on-ramp which expressly states that bicycles are forbidden to us the M-way. Such lunacy is mind-boggling.

Thanks again guys

Trojan, i'm actually living in Clarehall at the moment, (pretty striaght forward from there) so that is my prefered route, just didn't want to have to back track towards malahide/swords to get to a safe road to cycle to town.

thanks again for the help, i'll do a practice run in this weekend

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The route into town from Clare Hall along the Malahide Road is fine for cycling on, in my experience. There are bus corridors most of the way in so once you're cool with buses whizzing past you (or vice versa) and a ****load of traffic lights, you should be fine.
    Ronin2009 wrote:
    Thanks again guys

Trojan, i'm actually living in Clarehall at the moment, (pretty striaght forward from there) so that is my prefered route, just didn't want to have to back track towards malahide/swords to get to a safe road to cycle to town.

thanks again for the help, i'll do a practice run in this weekend

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

i dont know my favourite route but my favourite road to be on is the road from blessington that meets up with the sally gap crossroads, really beautiful fields to cycle buy, and a killer hill at the end, not too long or steep just killer!
    anone interested in track racing? im hoping to go to the cycleways track league races, in crumlin.

I'm actually looking to get into it,
    I went and spent an absolute ludicrous amount on building a new bike a couple of months ago, full suspension full carbon etc,
    and all I use it for at the moment is cycling in and out of work :(
    I keep meaning to go out and see what it can do but never get around to it,

• Advertisement
Advertisement