Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distateful? Moi?

Options
  • 17-04-2007 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭

Banned in AH for two weeks for the following post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53082864&postcount=224

People make distateful comments about scumbags and knackers all day long.
    Why the first result on a search for scumbags is a post from.... scojones... advocating violence!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055072950
    or how about
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054963419
    where people openly cheer murder?

As Dev said, what's the difference between people in an american school and people in Darfur: We only pretend to care about the americans because they're sociologically like us. I'm not at all making the point that my post was in "good taste", but it's at least in the same sarcastic vein as Mordeth's posts. In fact,a couple of posts below mine, he's making a follow up comment, and not getting banned for it.

I at least contained a disclaimer:
    No I don't care about the dead. Hundreds of people are dying every day and I don't pretend to care about them either. As Dev says, what are you doing about Darfur? **** all is what.

Distateful I don't disagree with. Bannable, or even "more bannable" than some of the other posts in the thread or the ones outlined above? I don't think so. Opinions?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Um, in your post you even admit you are being tasteless.
    es. Yes it is. It's always worse when middle class white people get shot - didn't god specifically say they were worth more when they get recycled?

On a tasteless side note, it's nice to see an american mass shooter with some marksmanship skills. I'm fed up reading these stories where some "mad shooter" holds a place hostage for hours on end and only manages to kill like 5 people in their "rampage". This guy should get a medal, or at least a certificate. Is he on the high score table at least?

No I don't care about the dead. Hundreds of people are dying every day and I don't pretend to care about them either. As Dev says, what are you doing about Darfur? **** all is what.

You can stick a disclaimer on it all you like, that doesn't make it a less bannable offense. Also, where have I advocated violence? The Scumbag thread I created was a thread about what happened to my sister, and it progressed into a thread where people can talk about their dealings with the type of people who like to intimidate and smash up cars. I call them scumbags. There were already several warnings in the thread for users to compose themselves, but you failed to adhere to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

/me pulls up a chair and grabs some popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

But as I already pointed out, "distasteful" isn't necessarily the same as "bannable". And as pointed out above, other posters have posted in the same vein previously, and continued posting in the same vein, albeit with less "vigour", without a banning. There are plenty of other "distasteful" posts in AH, what marks my comment out is not the nature of the distaste but the direction. I'm making a comment about white-middle-class-collegiate society rather than saying, as you did in your thread linked above, that vandals deserve to be beated up by vigilantes. A lot of people would find vigilante justice distasteful, given its association on this island with the IRA.

For the record, I find amusement in both ideas. I'm not actually "fed up" at all, the post was an evil joke. But I thought Dev did raise a very good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

But as I already pointed out, "distasteful" isn't necessarily the same as "bannable". And as pointed out above, other posters have posted in the same vein previously, and continued posting in the same vein, albeit with less "vigour", without a banning. There are plenty of other "distasteful" posts in AH, what marks my comment out is not the nature of the distaste but the direction. I'm making a comment about white-middle-class-collegiate society rather than saying, as you did in your thread linked above, that vandals deserve to be beated up by vigilantes. A lot of people would find vigilante justice distasteful, given its association on this island with the IRA.

According to the thread not many people found beating up scumbags distastefull, even in a vigilante manner, but taking the piss outta innocent college students and professors is. And the part about the killer being honoured by being given a medal....

Im with scjones on this one.

For the record, I find amusement in both ideas. I'm not actually "fed up" at all, the post was an evil joke. But I thought Dev did raise a very good point.

What makes it bannable, is that it wasn't even one day since the killings and you are saying that it's nice to see a person who shoots up schools with good aim. I'm not saying there is a time limit on when you can say such things, because you can't, but the fact that it wasn't even a day old makes it inherently worse. Your post disgusted me.

You were warned, on thread, to keep it civil. You're just trolling now as well, and I'm not going to get sucked into this. Failing to see how saying "I don't care about the dead", and "it's nice to see an american mass shooter with some marksmanship skills" is not a bannable offense is not my problem, it's yours. The ban remains, no matter what amount of posts you can drag up. There is no way I'm accepting this sort of behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Opinions?
    Yes, your comments were very distateful and immature.

scojones wrote:
    What makes it bannable, is that it wasn't even one day since the killings and you are saying that it's nice to see a person who shoots up schools with good aim. I'm not saying there is a time limit on when you can say such things, because you can't, but the fact that it wasn't even a day old makes it inherently worse. Your post disgusted me.

People were cheering on the linked post about the murdered westies the same day the news was reported. The difference in that case is that it's considered "ok" because the people in question were murdered criminals, not middle-class college attendees who are in a similar sociological bracket to the average boards user.
    You were warned, on thread, to keep it civil. You're just trolling now as well, and I'm not going to get sucked into this.

On the contrary, I'm not trolling at all. In fact, I'm following the advice in your PM, when you told me if I disagreed with the ban to make a thread in feedback. How is following a mod's advice considered "trolling"? Exactly?

The warning you posted was this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53079150&postcount=144
    This thread is heading for The Thunderdome soon if this keeps up, with a few bans along with it.
    Lads, if you can't discuss something in a civil manner don't discuss it at all. It's very easy to have a conversation without throwing digs and questioning someone's judgment / opinion and labeling them. The fact that I even have to say this in a thread created to acknowledge a terrible event is sickening.

Clearly relates to the gun ownership "discussion" going on previously and makes no mention of the jokes made earlier by other posters. In fact the first person to make jokes about it is still posting in the thread, along the same lines, without a ban. If the problem is with a question of taste, then how come there are no similar bans being handed out for similar bad-taste jokes?

And the person to bring up the whole "You don't actually care about people who die" subject that I made such a big joke out of, is the admin of the site. What's his take? Is there a ban in the works there too? *joke* *flashing lights* *siren* *joke*

But seriously, if you have a problem with the whole "You don't care about the people who died, you just pretend to because you're like them" comment that I posted, then you DO need to take up the same point with DeVore. It may be harsh, but it's also true.

And I'm not arguing the "distateful" point. I'm arguing the "more bannable" point.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Banned in AH for two weeks for the following post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53082864&postcount=224

you may think it is harsh, and you may not agree with the mod decision, but the decision will stand. PM scojones for readmittance to the AH forum in 2 weeks
    if i can ban mods of AH from the AH forum for 'distasteful' posts, then anyone can be banned for it. its about common sense, not a technicality

As Dev said, what's the difference between people in an american school and people in Darfur: We only pretend to care about the americans because they're sociologically like us.

i fail to see any relevance in what has hapened in Darfur, with this particular incident. i havent checked, but id be interested to see what has been posted about Darfur on this site, and who has been involved in that discussion. im sure there are any number of socially responsible people giving Darfur the equal representation that it deserves.

and just for the record, i dont think you and i took what DeVore said the same way. maybe im reading a little bit more into it. if im not and it was a base comment as you have described it, quite frankly, id be disappointed.

however, any given opinion by a mod or an admin, does not give anyone else the right to take it further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I'm arguing the "more bannable" point.

i agree. its not more bannable.

its just bannable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm rather tasteless myself, but i don't think a public forum is the place to express it...maybe try thumped.ie... they allow all sorts :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

i'm rather tasteless myself,p

with the sound "lick" in your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"The mods do bear and will allow in scojones
    The things which they abhor in rascal posts".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Distateful I don't disagree with. Bannable, or even "more bannable" than some of the other posts in the thread or the ones outlined above? I don't think so. Opinions?
    Whether or not other peoples posts are "more" or "less" bannable then yours is irrelevant. If yours fit into the "bannable" category at all, scojones has every right to ban you.
    That as a "disclaimer" just takes the biscuit. It amounts to "it's ok that I said that the americans dying was good, because I don't care if non-americans die either".
    But seriously, if you have a problem with the whole "You don't care about the people who died, you just pretend to because you're like them" comment that I posted, then you DO need to take up the same point with DeVore. It may be harsh, but it's also true.
    wow, like WWM said, you seem to have gotten something completely different out of Dev's post then I did. What I took from it was that his post was absolutly nothing to do with 'pretending' anything. He was merely highlighting the injustice in the media that focus on american lives when there is a 'massacre' while blatantly ignoring larger massacres happening elsewhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Distateful I don't disagree with. Bannable, or even "more bannable" than some of the other posts in the thread

The comment was not in good taste as you admit. If there were other like comments, did you report them in the hope that action would be taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Horizen

very unfair on Slutmonkey57b, scojones is a gob****e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I think you might be looking at the wrong element of your post for the banning, you are advocating reward for murder of people. You should be site banned forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Horizen wrote:

"Feedback" like that isn't welcome here so you can take a permanent break from this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

its about common sense, not a technicality

So many people actually get that, just not enough of them.

• Advertisement

Horizen wrote:

I may be a gobshite, but nothing about the ban is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

scojones wrote:
    I may be a gobshite, but nothing about the ban is unfair.

How did that gob****e get on the Net!

Advertisement