Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regular income needed for Laser card?

Options
  • 17-04-2007 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

If it's a debit card and the money can only be taken if you have the funds in your account do you need a regular income before the bank will let you have one? Or would a lump sum in there be sufficient?

I have a current account in Ireland with no cards on it (I have UK debit/credit cards I used when at home) but would like to get a Laser on it if possible....not sure if they require me to have a job though?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ellscurr wrote:
    If it's a debit card and the money can only be taken if you have the funds in your account

Correct
    ellscurr wrote:
    I have a current account in Ireland with no cards on it (I have UK debit/credit cards I used when at home) but would like to get a Laser on it if possible....not sure if they require me to have a job though?

Thanks

No, any bank who tells you that you do is talking ****e. Just make sure you tell them its a debit and not a credit card that you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It seems as though some banks are replacing their standard issue ATM cards with a standard issue Laser/Maestro - I think AIB have made that move anyway (maybe for over 18s only, not sure).

My point being that people are getting them with their new accounts so there's no reason why you can't get one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

A lot of banks require you have a regular income before getting a laser card. The reason is because the transactions don't always come out immediately so its possible you may exceed the amount you have in the account.

My brother is a student and was refused a laser card for the reason above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks - I'm with PTSB (for my sins lol) and I sort of recall them saying when I opened the account a year or so ago that they'd have to "see" about me getting a laser card. That's why I didn't bother at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Irish banks are still in the dark ages when it comes to Debit Cards.

From what I gather, AIB can just flag your card to dial up on every transaction if they don't think your finances are too healthy. So, if you make a laser card payment the terminal will check that you have the funds before authorising it.

I think some of the "low tech" banks have floor limits where by they don't dial up on some transactions at all.

AIB's entirely "online" so they're issuing Maestro cards en masse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I am shocked at the attitude of the "lesser known" banks when it comes to the issue of Laser cards on new a/c's. I wanted to open a bank a/c today. The a/c was to be funded on a weekly basis, by Standing order from my BOI / AIB a/c and used for household expenses. No overdraft needed or credit card etc. I insisted on having a Laser card on the a/c. Ulster Bank told me that they wanted 3 months of statements and PTSB wanted 6 months of statements :eek:

I wasnt having any of that; none of their business TBH. I can understand if you were looking for a credit card etc, but for a debit card, no way.

I am going to see if NIB will do what I want to do. Otherwise i'm sticking with AIB / BOI. Its ridiculus to think of the hassle you have to go to just to get a Laser card. You might ask why not just open another AIB / BOI a/c? Maybe I should but I wanted to see what it like to bank with one of the smaller institutions. Already its proving troublesome.....

Advertisement