Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the name Troll not the same f***

Options
  • 17-04-2007 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Is the use of the word troll not offensive, why is it not treated like f***. Or is the work f*** stared for legal reasons.

I've seen the word use, mostly out of context, to undermine and discredit the other person.

?????
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The simple answer to your question is, because **** is a lot more ****ing starworthy than troll. Call me troll over **** anyday.

The difficult answer to your question is, thats why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and knacker isn't offensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Troll is simply a term used to describe someone who posts useless or inflammatory crap just for the sake of making conversation. Its nowhere near the same level as the word **** because frankly, I don't see how anyone (who isn't delibarately doing it) could take offence e.g "You are a troll" vs "You're a balls licking pigeon ****er"

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

DarkJager wrote:
    Troll is simply a term used to describe someone who posts useless or inflammatory crap just for the sake of making conversation. Its nowhere near the same level as the word **** because frankly, I don't see how anyone (who isn't delibarately doing it) could take offence e.g "You are a troll" vs "You're a balls licking pigeon ****er"

But thats the point, to me, we know what a troll is. I saw it used, (not on me) but in one of the first threads I viewed. The why it's offensive is because it's real and can put I thought in to some ones head that your not to be listened to.

"You're a balls licking pigeon ****er" isn't offince caz it's out there, caz it's the imposible. call me a ****er Vs call a fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

What the fuck is this shit?

• Advertisement

grimloch wrote:
    What the fuck is this shit?

I think I made myself fucking clear :mad:
    Do I have to say it, any other fúcking away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

But somebody wouldn't get called a troll in the first place if they weren.t filling a thread with absolute bollox talk and generally acting the wanker.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DarkJager wrote:
    But somebody wouldn't get called a troll in the first place if they weren.t filling a thread with absolute bollox talk and generally acting the wanker.

agreed.
    since apparently the OP has a second 'trolling' username and going by his other feedback thread you have practically defined everyone of his posts.
    Dare I say that this thread is a troll about wanting the troll word 'banned' so no-one can call him on it?

copacetic wrote:
    agreed.
    since apparently the OP has a second 'trolling' username and going by his other feedback thread you have practically defined everyone of his posts.
    Dare I say that this thread is a troll about wanting the troll word 'banned' so no-one can call him on it?

Hum, no, I ment to write this thread ages ago, I was just reminded of it in the last thread.

Here look it's just a suggestion!

Although I do like a good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Did you for one moment stop to think of the problems this would cause in the Lord of the Rings forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

keynesian wrote:
    Is the use of the word troll not offensive, why is it not treated like f***. Or is the work f*** stared for legal reasons.

I've seen the word use, mostly out of context, to undermine and discredit the other person.

?????

I dunno, the swear filter is a bit uneven. After experimenting, I've found that I couldn't call you a **** or a **** or a ****er but if I wanted to I could call you a donkey raping crap licker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it makes you feel better, I think you're more of a tool than a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A trooll. Going bold new places with trolldom/toolism

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

psi wrote:
    I dunno, the swear filter is a bit uneven. After experimenting, I've found that I couldn't call you a **** or a **** or a ****er but if I wanted to I could call you a donkey raping crap licker.

I <3 Psi

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BEAT wrote:
    I <3 Psi

maybe I amn't down with the lingo, but does this mean you 'teabag' Psi?
    and if so, fair play and all but could you keep it to yourself? I've having
    my dinner here. (meatballs)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

copacetic wrote:
    maybe I amn't down with the lingo, but does this mean you 'teabag' Psi?
    and if so, fair play and all but could you keep it to yourself? I've having
    my dinner here. (meatballs)

I do believe it is a heart shape.

I've never liked any sort of swear word filter. Its not effective (as Psi has amply demonstrated) and just messes up posts if someone needs to use such words for other reasons, like "And then the guy called me a stupid fucker!" or "My brother is such a shithead, I don't know how to handle him!"

We're mostly adults here, do we really need to go around saying "the 'F' word" like five year old children afraid to upset their parents?

Does anyone actually get upset if they see "fuck" in a post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Thanks for feedback~

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement