Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singing Lessons

• 17-04-2007 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a good singing coach/class?

I used to train Sean Nos style, on a weekly/twice weekly basis, as well as competing in feis('s). I also used to take lessons at the Performing Arts School and Agency (The Factory), but that was all a good while ago.

I can carry a tune but I am very much out of practice and I would like to take a few crash course vocal lessons (maybe 10 or whatever the coach though necessary to get me back on track).

Any ideas? I'm based in Dublin, on the Northside.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Depends what style you're going for I suppose, if it's classical then the DIT or RIAM are probably the best for you, but if it's still sean nós you're wanting to do I'm afraid I can't help you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I suppose I'm just looking for a generic singing lesson. I need to learn how to breath properly, when I'm singing, and also I can often get a bit nasally (think any kid singing the American Anthem in pretty much any Hollywood movie).

I'd like to learn more amount my vocal ability and limitations, and what kind of songs are best suited to my voice.

I would be happy to join a class, or to pay for a course of one-on-one singing lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well DIT teach you all about breath control and posture and also will tell you what songs aren't and what songs are suited to your voice. When I was auditioning the woman stopped me mid song and tols me I'd picked the wrong song :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

New ADULT classes at NPAS The Factory.

Classes for Adults:

Street Jazz, Tap, Salsa, Musical Theatre, Street Dance, Funk, Drama, Singing,

8 week course commences this week

25th 26th 27th April – and runs till 13th 14th 15th June

I used to go here as a kid, and I really enjoyed it, but I was wondering... has anyone ever gone to any of the adult classes?

Just wondering if they are as good now as I remember them?

I might sign up for singing classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FranDrastic

I've heard about a lady called Fiona Mullaney (based in Skerries I think) who a friend of mine has been going to and she seems to focus on breathing a lot.

She has a website at www.fionamullaney.com. Maybe you can give her a ring and ask.

No relation :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kissinger

The only place to go in Dublin if you want to learn to enjoy your singing and want to sing with YOUR OWN natural voice is Bel Canto school on North Great George's Street, Dublin 1.

You'll end up learning so much about really beautiful songs, and great singers... the whole thing is a joy...
    Besides, you go anywhere else, you'll just learn how to adopt an affectation on your voice and you'll end up sounding like something you don't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Hey, if you haven't already found someone you might want to check this out.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64474019#post64474019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RainPh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RainPh

RainPh wrote: »

The most interesting singing lessons I found was in Bel Canto House.

It's located in the city centre on the North Great Georges Street, just off Parnell Street

Advertisement