Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of Gearbox/Clutch

Options
  • 17-04-2007 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hey,
    I was out in the car (99 Jaguar S-type - automatic) at the weekend and it was stuttering a bit on the way out, but by the time I was coming home, the car was f*cked. The RPMs were going crazy, and it wasn't going above 1st gear. Ended up having to get it towed home.
    I presume that it's the gearbox? Can anyone give me an idea roughly what the cost of getting this fixed will be (no jokes please!)? Also, can anyone recommend a garage that will look at this (bearing in mind that the car is stuck outside my gaff)? I'd rather not have to go to Jaguar, which would involve me dropping my pants, bending over and reversing into the garage.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Did you check it for transmission fluid? also check the filters, things mightn't be as bad as think as long as you get a mechanic who knows what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

That's a good suggestion Junkyard. I'll check it tonight and see what happens.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I got quoted 3k for my SEAT leon, when i passed a question. you'll be looking at double that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I got quoted 3k for my SEAT leon, when i passed a question. you'll be looking at double that.
    That's expensive even for a Seat, I'd be surprised if the Jag cost even 3k tbh. Try Naas gearbox centre for an exchange unit if you need it, an extremely honest crowd to deal with as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

junkyard wrote:
    That's expensive even for a Seat, I'd be surprised if the Jag cost even 3k tbh. Try Naas gearbox centre for an exchange unit if you need it, an extremely honest crowd to deal with as far as I'm concerned.

Lets just go back to the beginning with this for a minute!

(1) Is the car starting ok and is the engine operating normally when the gearbox is in "Park"???

(2) What exactly is happening with the engine that makes you think this is a transmission problem to start with???

(3) Are there any oil leaks under the car/in the driveway???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

When the RPM's were going crazy, did it seem like the car was shifing in and out of neutral? Did you find that the engine's response was somtimes not related to the throttle input? What engine is in it?

Somtimes the TR (Transmission Range) sensor goes bad on there and wreaks havoc. Quite often the dealer will try and stiff you for a new gearbox when you dont need it.

Perhaps ask the dealer for the ECU codes? Did any lights come on the dashboard? Like others have said, check fluid condition and levels and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Okay, I googled transmission fluid and checked out how to check - it sounds like it could be the problem, but couldn't find anything about it in the manual - it's supposed to be a dipstick behind the engine right? Decided to try and take it out to see if the problem is still there, and the car was driving grand. Changing through the gears and everything.

Darragh:-
    1) Car starts fine. Odd stutter when it's idling.
    2) Thought it might be a transmission problem 'cos Junkyard suggested to check it out (I'm fairly clueless when it comes to the innards of the car). What happened was it wouldn't go beyond first gear/20mph and the rpms were going crazy. The gearbox was my first inkling, and my mechanic (who won't take it on) and everyone els I've spoken to has suggested the same.
    3) No oil leaks at all. Ever. The AA guy who towed me home on Saturday said this too.

Souper:-
    Didn't seem like the car was shifting in & out of neutral. Just wouldn't go beyond 1st. Also, no lights or alerts came on when it happened - the car is pretty good about stuff like that, too. In relation to the engine response... sometimes it does seem that I have to rev more than I should to shift gear. By the way, it's a 3L engine.

Thanks again for all the help guys - Kumbaya and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

so is the car OK now?

Id say 70% TR sensor if that is the case. You may find it drives fine from cold, but if you drive off from a warm start it will shift very strangely.

Advertisement