Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good lock for Hiace spare wheel?

• 17-04-2007 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey all

I have a toyota hiace & was followed by travellers, I had a feeling they were following me so I made some turns & when they were still behind me I said, **** this & pulled over, sure enough they pull in beside me to ask am I selling the van :rolleyes: I just said no & off they went.

Now, I'm pretty sure at a set of lights they were close enough to me to see there was a lock on the spare wheel, it's like this one here, cost me €15 bike-lock-smweb-greySMWEB.jpg

I thought the lock would do the job but with them still following me after seeing the lock they are either A, able to cut through that lock like butter or B, they are after something else, they were also in a Hiace.

Any ideas or suggestions on a decent lock, it can't be too big as it needs to fit through the wheel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Maybe they really just wanted to buy your van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

And what led you to believe they wanted your spare wheel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nusername

Well, for 1 I haven't got a for sale sign.

When I bought the van last week the previous owner told me to lock the wheel asap or put it in the back or it will be robbed, I also know my uncle bought a new hiace a couple of years ago & the spare wheel didn't last a week before it was lifted.

P.S. I'm in dublin, you don't follow someone for 10 mins in heavy traffic to see are they selling a van.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Ive been driving Hiaces and Transits on and off eight years, learned my mistake, I always keep the spares in the van.

There yas go, what Bradidup said, it's easy pickings for them.

I went for a pint since my last post & was talking to a bloke in the pub who drives a hiace taxi & I asked him what he does, he also learnt the hard way, he now has a heavy chain around it joined by a kryptonite lock & hasnt had any problems since, I guess I'll try that, it should put them right off :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Sh1te, I better follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I wonder are Mercedes Sprinters any safer?

I think the problem is mainly with the Hiace, my mate had an 04 transit & said you need access to the inside of the van to release the spare wheel, it's probably easier on the older transits, dunno myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A bit OT I know, but I saw a Toyota Rav today that is insured with the St Paul Travelers (sic) Insurance Co. It had the spare in its original location.

OP: 'If you have a €15 wheel, use a €15 lock'. What would it cost you to replace the wheel/tyre? Never mind the inconvenience. The lock you have is for a cheap bicycle. Look at Abus chains and locks.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I wonder are Mercedes Sprinters any safer?
    How often do you see travelers driving sprinters? Never, they wont fit under the barriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

nusername wrote:
    Well, for 1 I haven't got a for sale sign...

P.S. I'm in dublin, you don't follow someone for 10 mins in heavy traffic to see are they selling a van.
    To be honest travellers have a different outlook when it comes to buying and selling things, i'd say they probably did just want to buy the van. On a separate note, it's probably as well to have the spare secured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Audi A4!!!!

I have also been driving vans for over 10 years , bought the van brand new at midday and installed a chain and lock on the spare wheel 1 minute later and its still there , 8 years later and never touched touch wood .. but i had two friends who were parked beside each other outside there business for 10 mins and both there spares were knicked both hiaces , they had no chain or lock on it ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

798766-shotgun_large.jpg

Best Anti Knacker device I can think off ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

I have a hiace and am wondering how can they rob the wheel mine is clamped up from inside the back door and its fair tight...

They did get my wind breakers last year:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Audi A4!!!!

Im serious when i say this , if u dont have a lock or a lock and chain like me on ur spare wheel its only a matter of time before it goes walking , iv a chain wrapped around the centre hub of the spare wheel and then locked to the chasis of the van and touch wood they never got it , iv also been approach or followed by them and ask if its for sale etc , they even knock into the house to ask , just while were on the subject of spare wheels , does anyone know how much a knew one is to replace ????

Advertisement