Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with new build !

Options
  • 17-04-2007 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

Just pretty much finished putting all my new gear into the case. I get power but after a few seconds the machine shuts down.
    Sometimes I get as far as error messages saying
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-061: Media test failure, check cable
    I get that a few times then it powers off... and if I power it straight back on again it does not seem to get as far as the last place it shut down...

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

Not sure - investigated it a bit and it could be a number of things.

- check your harddrive is plugged in correctly. Unplug it and plug it back it. If you can insert a replacement do, it may be faulty.
    - change boot order in bios setting a different different device to first.

If you get really desperate maybe reset your bios though i'm not so sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

I think the hard drives are ok... I can see them in the BIOS. But the machine still shuts down after a few seconds even when im in the bios....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

Dunno then - maybe check the connections from the power supply to the motherboard, gpu, dvd player etc. Is it booting from the DVD player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

is it a sata dvd drive , cause that could be yer problem try to get ur hands on an ide one and try using that , is windows installed on it yet?

nope the cd is a IDE and it wont seem to let me boot from the CD I get those PXE Errors.
    No windows is not installed.
    I also tried my old IDE HD still same error and it still shuts down. By the way it does not always shut down at the Errors sometimes it shuts down before them :S
    Im beginning to think the PSU is faulty...
    I tried installin the system on my old 500W PSU but I think I Fried it somehow some came out of it... I have another psu but its only 300W I dont think its enough power to get all of it going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Can you give us all the details of the parts in the build. have you checked to make sure everything is in correct and tight. all connections, GFX card CPU, and CPU heatsink. Also did you mean smoke came out of it cos if it did i dont think you'll have to look much farther than that. LOL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075829&referrerid=&highlight=

link to stuff ordered... its accurate besides the HDD's I got two SATA-II instead of the raptors
    Hitachi Deskstar 320GB Sata-II 16mb Cache x 2 !

and ye I think I fried the old 500W PSU the new 850W Still works temporary...

ok .. Sorted the power going off adjusted the heatsink thanks all

installing windows now yaaaaaaays!!!!!!!! my 2 days of stress is coming to an end !!!

ugh no..... another problem !!
    I think I might need a RAID Controller...
    Mother board
    Just says RAID is supported on that... Sorry for the silly questions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

i dont think you need a raid controller , afaik it can be set in the bios and stuff , my dells a year old and i have settings in my bios to enable raid0 and the likes do some googling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

First you have to down load raid drivers from mobo website. Then copy em to a floppy. Then enable RAID in your bios. Attach your drives to the appropriate SATA sockets first. enter your raid bios (this appears after the POST screen once you've enabled RAID) and follow instructions for detecting and setting up the RAID array (RAID0 for speed and max stripe setting). restart pc with wondows disc and run installation. then watch and press the correct key when windows prompts you to install third party SCSI or RAID drivers. Then insert the floppy select the driver and let windows do the rest.

PS was the heatsink not attached correctly i thought it sounded like that kind of problem when you sed it cut out quicker the second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Tyrant^ the PXE errors where from the bios being set to boot from the ethernet controller but I presume you figured that one out and turned off the feature.

As for the RAID controller question ?
    a) Are you actually using a RAID array ?
    b) If not then you don't need to install RAID drivers the SATA controllers should be set in the bios to emulate a normal IDE controller so they don't need drivers to install Windows on (tip to do that turn off RAID support in bios).

Assuming this is Windows XP, the chipset drivers can be found here.

Don't bother installing the storage, media shield and sound driver so untick those. A RAID driver if needed for a RAID array is also included.

thanks for all your help guys! have windows installed on RAID-0 ! Its fast ! :D

Advertisement