Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Calc is down

Options
  • 17-04-2007 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Went to check a couple of cars through the VRT Calc and the site is down for release
    The Revenue On-Line Service is currently unavailable.

We are currently upgrading our service, which has required the site to be shut down for a short period of time.

We hope to resume full service at midnight. Thank you for your patience.

Is this a sign they are changing the rates for the better or worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Went to check a couple of cars through the VRT Calc and the site is down for release

Is this a sign they are changing the rates for the better or worse.

Probably changing the rates for the better.... for them I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

lol, is back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

does it not go offline outside office hours? I thought it always says its only available up to 8 O'Clocl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

That will be stupid. What's the point in having a website in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Becuase it's probably done in real time. I've never been able to get a quote after 8.

Seems to work now,hadnt check it in a good few months but for a long time last year I couldnt get quotes out of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's not a sign that they're changing the rates or any particular thing. It's for new functionality on the ROS website. This I know because I've just come home from it.

And it most certainly does not go offline after 8 all the time or even frequently. I know this too well..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

How long does it take to update a random number generator?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    does it not go offline outside office hours? I thought it always says its only available up to 8 O'Clocl.

Surely that cannot be the case? That's a bit like a restaurant that closes for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

How long does it take to update a random number generator?
    Not long, it takes them much longer to draw the tickets from the tombola, hence the reason they do it during the cover of night.

Back now, new and improved with more random jiggery-pokery :mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

louie wrote:
    That will be stupid. What's the point in having a website in the first place?
    erm, you are dealing with the civil service here so anything is possible!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bazz26 wrote:
    Surely that cannot be the case? That's a bit like a restaurant that closes for lunch.
    It is most certainly not the case. It does not go offline outside office hours and I'd know very well if it did, believe me. The uptime for the site is very high.

The downtime last night had nothing to do with VRT - it was just affected as part of maintenance. I'm not going into specifics, but there's a good reason.

As to the accuracy of the figures - well I've no knowledge of cars but it's not random either, even if it may appear so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

You're right of course, if it was random it would throw out low numbers every now and again. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well they definately did something to as a car that Im paying vrt on has gone up in price by 2,000 thus adding 500 extra to my bill.

Luckily i took a screen shot of the original quote I got, but not sure will it be much help. Ill definately appeal it though.

Just typical! To them a car appreciates as it gets older i suppose :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do the VRO office use the exact same calc or is there a different one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

jank wrote:
    Luckily i took a screen shot of the original quote I got, but not sure will it be much help.

useless im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

jank wrote:
    Well they definately did something to as a car that Im paying vrt on has gone up in price by 2,000 thus adding 500 extra to my bill.

Luckily i took a screen shot of the original quote I got, but not sure will it be much help. Ill definately appeal it though.

Just typical! To them a car appreciates as it gets older i suppose :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do the VRO office use the exact same calc or is there a different one?

Revenue are constantly checking the OMSP so they adjust the VRT as well. They also keep a close eye on what makes and models are been checked for VRT on that site ..they use it as an "early warning system" to cars that are suddenly in high demand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

What car is it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Altreab wrote:
    Revenue are constantly checking the OMSP so they adjust the VRT as well. They also keep a close eye on what makes and models are been checked for VRT on that site ..they use it as an "early warning system" to cars that are suddenly in high demand
    Are you sure they check the OMSP or just advertised prices? How does the revenue decide the OMSP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kbannon wrote:
    Are you sure they check the OMSP or just advertised prices? How does the revenue decide the OMSP?

oh, that's easy, they ring the local friendly SIMI guy, tell them about all the quotes they're doing, and ask him for his 'honest opinion' bearing mind his market is about to be saturated.........

naturally, he low-balls the prices..........:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

galwaytt wrote:
    oh, that's easy, they ring the local friendly SIMI guy, tell them about all the quotes they're doing, and ask him for his 'honest opinion' bearing mind his market is about to be saturated.........

naturally, he low-balls the prices..........:rolleyes:

This is exactly how the cartel operates so successfully :D . SIMI don't complain to the EU about the government and VRT, the government put an importation tax onto imported cars to encourage people to only buy from Irish dealers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its a MK3 Toyota Mr2. Its ridiculaous that they can pretty much charge what they like with no accountability in coming up with a price. Ill appeal this all the way though.
    Has anybody else done this and how successful were you?

Jank

• Advertisement
Advertisement