Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sony Ericsson phone fo me??

• 17-04-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Ok Lookin to get a new phone as my W800i is starting to show its age,
    so was thinking 1 of the following W810i or W850i

Now the W810i is €200 on meteor and the W850i is €250 on 3
    So both are within a reasonable price range i just cant decide which to get :confused:

I feel the W810i could be a little dated its only a little newer than the W800i afterall

the W850i will be riddled with 3 firmware, anyone know if its possible to remove this and get standard firmware in its place.
    the 3g on the W850i is no difference to me as i have no need for 3g

so each have their disadvantages but i still cant decide which one to get
    so a little help would be much appriciated(bad spelling)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

so you want a music phone? well id say get the w850i, i don'ty see anything wrong with 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

what about buying a sim free phone and buying a 3 sim card?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

have a look at the w880i, voda have it is stores now and I expect 3 will have it soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

rymus wrote:
    what about buying a sim free phone and buying a 3 sim card?

That ain't possible as three sims aren't sold seperately.

To the OP - it is possible to debrand and rebrand sonyericsson phones on three using Wotanserver for about 7 euro. Its a fairly straightforward procedure, however there have been some compatiblity issues with downloading new three applications on the debranded models.

Me? I'd go with the W850 - prefer the look and feel of the handset - frankly the w880 doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

neilled wrote:
    To the OP - it is possible to debrand and rebrand sonyericsson phones on three using Wotanserver for about 7 euro. Its a fairly straightforward procedure, however there have been some compatiblity issues with downloading new three applications on the debranded models.

Me? I'd go with the W850 - prefer the look and feel of the handset - frankly the w880 doesn't do it for me.

ok where do I get a three handset debranded and is there a shop in dublin that can do it.
    By the way on meteor not three thats why i wand the handset unlocked and debranded

Yeah don't really like the W880i in general. plus it will be expensive, no FM radio and its on vodafone so no thanks.

The utter most i could do is €320 so if any one knows where i can get a sim free W850i for around that it would be great:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

W850i's are on the new sonyericsson platform. Like nokia bb5's (their new platform) they are damned hard to unlock and quite pricey to do as well for the places that offer them.

Debranding is the cheap bit - its only around €7. You use the cable that comes with the phone and software from wotanserver (google it) which is pretty easy to use, i've done it twice.

Three won't unlock prepay handsets unless you spend a set amount with them - its about 130 euro and that excludes the free credit you get with your sim.

Sorry i can't be of anymore help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

copacetic wrote:
    and I expect 3 will have it soon..
    Any details??? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Richie6904 wrote:
    The utter most i could do is €320 so if any one knows where i can get a sim free W850i for around that it would be great:)

looking at getting a w850i also, and this (€358.99) is what i have bookmarked as i've used komplett before but if anyone has other (cheaper :D) idea's please share... i'm on vodafone so i could easily get it in there if they do 'em (their website hasn't got it)

hosi wrote:
    Any details??? :)

no just rumour that it will be €200 on billpay. similarly search for w880i in google if in ireland and you get this ad from 02:

Sony Ericsson W880 - €199
    www.o2online.ie/shop Sony Ericsson W880i at o2 shop From only €199.00 - Free Delivery.

although of course when you click on the ad you don't find the w880 on the 02 site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Your W800i is showing its age. your W800i???!

Ah can't blame ya, if I could afford it I would buy every update of the Walkman range from sony ericsson!! Sony ericson is probably the best mobile phone makers at the moment!

• Advertisement

Your W800i is showing its age. your W800i???!

It was released over 2 years ago now so in the phone world the W800i is an OAP

Yep its showning its age had it a year now sotime to upgrade still no luck on the W850i :(

Seen a W880i in a voda shop what a slick phone very thin.
    Would get it if it didnt cost €400, have no fm radio, need a new type of memory card and riddled is with vodafone firmware.
    Ah Well the hunt continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

If I had the money I'd buy a new phone every year but tbh if it works it works. Whats the point in forking out 200euro+ for a fancy phone? Anyway, thats another topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i have a Sony k750i -- i'm on bill pay and am entitled to a free/cheap upgrade -- has the W810i got much over the 750i , apart from extra memory ?
    Cheers.

If I had the money I'd buy a new phone every year but tbh if it works it works. Whats the point in forking out 200euro+ for a fancy phone? Anyway, thats another topic...

Thats the thing about the W800i it never really worked properly the firmware is fairly glitchy. Never bothered updating it so maybe it improved since

copacetic wrote:
    no just rumour that it will be €200 on billpay. similarly search for w880i in google if in ireland and you get this ad from 02:

Sony Ericsson W880 - €199
    www.o2online.ie/shop Sony Ericsson W880i at o2 shop From only €199.00 - Free Delivery.

although of course when you click on the ad you don't find the w880 on the 02 site.

O2 brochure with the paper today has a picture of the silver 880i and says it
    is available from €249. of course it says go to website for more details and it still isn't up there. bunch of amateurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Richie6904 wrote:
    Try here http://web.hoh.de for €289.00 + P&P

i picked up the w880i today and am well impressed so far. nice and slim/light and lovely screen on it. it's about half as thick as the k750i and a little bit taller.

Well have given up on the W850i and managed to pick up a W610i from expansys for €300 :D throw in a 1gig m2 memory stick and delivery for a grand total of €350.
    The phone was dispatched yesterday so should recieve it on monday. Arrived in dublin to late to be delivered today :(
    Will let you know what the phone is like when i get it

Advertisement