Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to remove mortar off old bricks

Options
  • 17-04-2007 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

HI All

I have to re-use bricks from an exisiting wall and am tapping the mortar off the bricks with a hammer and its taking way too long, and im wrecked!! My question is can you get an acid for removing the mortar or any other solution? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 wornout

hi tk1
    try a product called santrax,but use a face mask ,goggles and heavy rubber gloves,this stuff is lethal!should do the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Bolster chisel, hammer and goggles.

It still does take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hire a Pneumatic chipping hammer or Needle scaler and use that.
    Takes just seconds per brick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you not risk damaging the brick?
    i took all the pebbledash off the front of my house with a 4" brick bolster and a lump hammer. that was fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those scaling hammers are very fast but rely on lots of small bangs rather than one big one which potentially could damage the bricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TK1

Thanks for replies everyone.

T

Advertisement