Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tri Athy

• 17-04-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm fairly new to this whole fitness game. First I will introduce myself; I'm male 42yrs old and have been sitting on the sofa for the last 20 odd years. I decided to get fit last year having given up smoking thanks to Michael Martin.
    Last year I did the Focus Ireland Triathlon and much to my surprise I actually finished it (20,40,33 total 1.40). On Sunday I did my first 10k and finished in 59 mins.
    I am looking for the next event and have seen the Athy-Tri. Is this a fun run or for serious athletes only? I don't mind finishing in the last 10% but I wouldn't like to be Paddy Last.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sounds perfect for you, i know a few people who did it as their first ever tri last year. they even have an extra short option..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Hey,

I'd say you would really enjoy it. The event is a pretty big field and I know there are a few people doing it as their first Tri so it's not going to be a real competitive field.

Damian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Thanks for that ! I'll register so ! It's hard to get off your arse and get out and train so I find these events are great to give people like me an incentive to train ,without getting in the way of proper athletes.

Thanks for that ! I'll register so ! It's hard to get off your arse and get out and train so I find these events are great to give people like me an incentive to train ,without getting in the way of proper athletes.

enjoy the day and don't worry about getting in the way of the 'proper' athletes. 99% of those competing have no chance of winning, everyone is competing against themselves and you'll find the majority of people very supportive of everyone no matter what speed they are going. There will always be one or two eejits who think they are great because they come in the top half of the field but they are generally few and far between in triathlons..

Thanks for that Copathectic, I will be on holidays during the Focus Tri this year. Is the Dublin Tri (sprint only) a fun thing as well, cos I live nearby and would love to do it ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Copathectic, I will be on holidays during the Focus Tri this year. Is the Dublin Tri (sprint only) a fun thing as well, cos I live nearby and would love to do it ?

that must have been a freudian slip in my user name!

The dublin sprint wouldn't be such a 'fun' event, but as i said above most people aren't at all competitive in reality so don't let it bother you. There would certainly be a fair few people around your level doing it and I think you will find people very supportive. They are a piece of piss for the fitter people but a real challenge until you get there, people realise this and will support you along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You might also be interested in the Adidas Race Series if you enjoyed the BUPA 10k. Check out http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/race_series.php. It starts with a 5 mile race in July, then 10 in August and 13.1 in September. If you can already run 10k then you'd be well able for them, and the progression is good to keep you motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 oceallaigh

Hi All,
    I'm another Tri newbie! The experienced Tri-ers must be sick of us! Anyway, I'm doing my first Triathlon - the Sprint Tri in Athy on June 2nd. I'm currently shaping up for a time of 15/45/25 ~ 1hr30mins. Has anyone got advice for a pace profile?? I was thinking of going off pretty hard in the swim for the first 200/300m and then keeping an even, moderate pace going to the finish. I didn't have much of a plan for the bike really other than maybe giving the legs a slight breather for the last 1km. As for the run, I was gonna start slow and watch the clock - maybe give it hell for the last 1500m.

I'd sooner take 2hrs and finish without stopping than overcook it and bonk.

Anyone got advice/suggestions??

Regards,
    oceallaig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

some random advice

try and get in the water before the swim start. Your heart rate will be fast enough from the effort and nerves without the shock of cold water.

I would do the swim at an even pace. sprinting in swimming is a very exhausting exercise. You'll only gain seconds and probably wreck yourself for the next section

if you're going to eat or drink, do so in the middle of the bike section

just before you get out of the water, pull the neck of your wetsuit open to allow some water in. It makes your wesuit easier to get off.

PUT your helmet on before you touch your bike (you'll be disqualified otherwise)

towards the end of the bike, spin into an easier gear. It will make the bike to run transition easier.

Before the race see if you can walk the water to bike and bike to run transitions. you don't need the extra stress of tryingt o work out where you're going in the middle of the race.

most of all enjoy it. Triathlon is a great sport. I hope I can sign you all up for ironman next year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Oh and I forgot the most important one. Smile when you cross the finishing line. You have to look good in the pictures!

• Advertisement

Oh and I forgot the most important one. Smile when you cross the finishing line. You have to look good in the pictures!

Thanks Hunnymonster! OK so...even pace thru the swim, push an easy gear towards the end of the bike, and smile crossing the line. Nice one.

The tip of letting water into your wetsuit before exiting the swim is a goodun. Haven't come across that yet.. I've read the tip for "vacuum-packing" yourself in the wetsuit prior to the swim alright.

Thanks again Hunnymonster.

oceallaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Hey,

I presume you have already entered. I think the last of the places (75) were up on activeeurope.com this morning.

Wasn't sure from your initial post

Best of luck and see you there...

Yeah,they put up extra places because there was so much interest. They reckon on about 750 taking part.
    I'm really starting to look forward to it now . I have been training steadily and I'm really enjoying it. Of course the recent spell of good weather made it so much easier. Hope the weather is good on the day.

..yep I entered pretty early for it. As for the weather - I'm hoping there's a deluge the night before so there's a fast current down the Barrow, I'm hoping there's a strong NNW gale for the first 10k of the bike and a strong SSE for the last 10k. Then I want the wind to die down completely and I'd like a gentle snowfall about 3k into the run.

See ye all there....

mk

Advertisement