Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooling question

Options
  • 17-04-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

right, im after overclocking my intel e6600 chip from 2.4-2.6. my question is regarding the temperature of the cpu. at absolute full load, it will be hovering around 75 degrees celcius, and around 40-45 at idle. i left the o.c. at 2.6 cause i wanted to know for certain what the maximum temperature i should let my cpu get to. im happy leaving it at 2.6 but, again, id like to know what temperature i should be keeping it under.
    (using a sythe ninja cooler)

any ideas out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Seems a bit high. What program are using to get the temps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

well that was just a majorly unrealistic test to get those temps. (running rainbow six vegas, counter strike source, i tunes, and using the internet)

40-45 at idle seems ok tho right?

any further comments on the max temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's high for the ninja. I have a ninja with a quad core at 3GHz and I get around those temps for 4 cores. Did you use arctic silver? What's your vcore at? You should /easily/ achieve 3GHz with the ninja and an e6600.

I found that changing the crappy plastic clips for screws + rubber made a HUGE difference in temperature. Have a search in the tweaking and modding section for my thread. I can take pics if you're nervous about doing the mod (it's very simple).

Also, the general test for load is mprime. Grab yourself a copy of that.

damn....em vcore is 1.35 ( im not the most 'in the know' when it comes to overclocking) but no, didnt use arctic silver, used the stuff that came with. i had a feeling it might be that i may have used a little too much thermal paste...i think ill go take sum off.....

where can i download mprime? cant find it anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Right here.

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

IT would be worth your while to order some artic before trying to go any further, and make sure you have adequate case cooling.

@3.6ghz im hitting 69c under 24 hour tourture test.

• Advertisement

right, i scraped off some thermal paste, and stuck a better fan on the cooler, im now idle at 32 and 63 at load. better?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's a lot better. Definitely within safe ranges. You could probably hit 3GHz with the stock vcore and that cooler. As anti said though....there's no substitute for arctic silver.

edit: When you say "better fan"...is it a 120mm fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have some Asaka thermal compound I picked up in Maplin(still have to use it!)... would they be a good brand??

when i say 'better fan', i mean i put the 120mm ninja fan on the case in a more effective position to contribute with total aiflow, and put a smaller 100mm fan on the cooler itself. (the bigger 120mm ninja is too big for this cooler cause the centre is too big and any resulting airflow just goes around the cooler instead of through)

Advertisement